Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G0698 discontinued

I don't disagree with you, Roger. If I still had the lathe, though, I would hope that any new model would be similar enough that Grizzly could provide parts and service to G0698 owners using the new model. If, as it appears, the problems are in the electronics, that seems feasible.

Roger I am just as ticked off as you about their decision. As far as supporting the present lathe down the line, they are committed to one year and that is limited. The powers that be at Grizzly or most other companies don't confide their decisions with the customer service or any other branch of their company. I'm pretty sure what the person told you when you bought the machine was what he believed and was told. If I had known before hand what was going down I wouldn't have bought the machine either.
    I personally think Grizzly has shot themselves in the foot but that is their decision. My guess is that our lathes will eventually become boat anchors.
    My barn is getting pretty full of boat anchors and they aren't all Grizzly green, think Crapsman, Delta and B&D.
    Hey it still works great.
    Fred

3. So far so good Fred, but I do want to have Grizzly support their machines for the future. I wonder if they would give a credit for an upgrade? Of course the only lathe they currently carry that I would be interested in would be the G0694, but might would rather have the PM3520b or go with a Oneway, or perhaps the American Beauty by Robust.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Could there be a different motive for dropping the G0698 from the site? At this point they can not keep up with sales and the next shipment due in March is sold out. Grizzly may be sitting on a container or two of the of the higher priced G0632 and those need to be moved. Given the availability of the two lathes, why would someone buy the higher priced smaller lathe? This could just be a method to move some other machines.

I talked to technical service today and he said he didn't know why they were discontinued.
    David

So the G0698 has re-appeared on the Grizzly website!

7. Right you are John............I had just looked yesterday at the Grizzly site and it was not there, but it is now listed again........I think they must have gotten a new shipment in...........speculation on my part, but they look to selling the again.

My G0698 is going strong and running well after all this time! Tech support assured me they were going to stand behind this unit with service and support. I think maybe they took time to get the circuit board issue [a Toshiba problem that became theirs] corrected as they also told me they were working with Toshiba for a fix on the problems a small number of units had.

I guess we will see when new owners begin to post info on their units..........I sure hope so, because I think this is a great lathe with features that are what most turners want...........power, VFD speed control and reversing.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-21-2011 at 5:24 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!