Thread: Dyed Curly Maple Platter

Dyed Curly Maple Platter

This is a piece of Curly Maple that I picked up at our local wood dealer (Bell Forest Products). We have our club meetings there and this was off to the side of their main wood stacks.

It is 10 3/4" X 1 1/2" Dyed with layers of blue and red-orange Aniline dyes sanded in between. Finished with multiple coats of WOP. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques are welcome.
    .IMG_1430.jpgIMG_1431.jpgIMG_1429.jpg

Marc Himes
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the shape and the way the inside and outside forms work together. Also like the orange ring on the outside edge. I think the contrasting colors on the rest of the piece are a little busy with the figured wood, but that is just my opinion and it may show up better in person than in the photos.

Looks like it will make a great 4th of July platter! Any chance this was inspired by Jimmy Clewes? Also, looks like a great polished surface with the WOP. Did you buff after or is that just straight WOP? I like the spirals around the signature on the bottom! Did you use a chatter tool?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Really nice piece. I like the form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Marc - love the wood, think the form looks great but to be honest - I'm not sure about the color combination. How close is the posted version to real life? Most of your color work is in darker hues and this version is almost neon! Different... did I mention I sure love the wood?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I love curly maple, and this is one fine piece of it! I like the bowl, but would have to agree the color combo is a little on the bright side, but very interesting nonetheless.

I do have trouble with the colors in my photos, but the main colors were blue and orange. The finish was buffed and finally treated with Ren wax. The design on the bottom was made with a Dremmel engraving tool. The photography just doesn't tell the story and I need to work on that. Steve, I will bring it to the club so you can see the difference.

Marc

It's a good form and a nice piece of wood, but I'm with the others on the way the coloring appears in the photos. Maybe Steve can snap a photo of it at the club meeting...

Marc
    Sure is a beautiful piece of wood and you've done an excellent job of turning and dyeing.My only question is at that size and shape it sure looks like a bowl to me.
    Am I wrong, I've seen this allot on this forum, may be me it is only a name.
    But really nice work Marc.
    Harry