Thread: Monster Articulating Hollowing system for a DVR XP

Monster Articulating Hollowing system for a DVR XP

Hi All;
    The Monster Articulating Hollowing System is set up and starting on a practice piece. This system is fantastic. Hollowing with one hand is effortless and so much safer than manual tools. The picture shows me using the 45 degree offset, it comes with two straight tips, 1/4 and 3/16, as well as a hunter style round cutter.
    The space above the Lathe has to be remodeled to make room for the "laser pointer unit" that sits on the hollowing arm. The laser dot will point just to the left of the cutter and show you where the cutter is and prevent making a funnel.
    This piece is 8" x 2.5" and will be hollowed to less than 1/4" wall thickness. (If all goes right, this is a first practice piece).

tn_IMG_3021, Monster Articulating Hollowing rig, 19 Feb 11.JPG tn_IMG_3024, Maple HF, 8 x 2.5, 19 Feb 11.JPG

I know the articulating arm is in the forward position, there is not enough room yet for me to get back further. I have to move some things around. Very tight (comfortable) Lathe corner.
    For those who do not have a system yet, you need to start saving your pennies to buy one.
    Comments and questions welcome.
    Peter F.

Congrats on your new hollowing system Peter! I found that the more I use the Monster systems - the more I love them! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing some hollow forms real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Gotta be careful with the laser - it requires diligent attention to the position of the laser relative to the cutting edge. It also requires attention to the portion of the cutting edge that is in contact with the HF. An example would be having the pointer is positioned off the end of the cutter, but using the side of the cutter - the laser will not help. Don't ask me how I know this...

Anyway, that is a good looking system and a nice hollow form - hope to see a photo or two of the finished product. Congrats!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Congrats on your new system. I love mine. Look forward to seeing some of your work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Oh dang it... I have the DVR. I do not have the hollowing system. As many references as I've seen lately on all you folks with the hollowing systems, apparently it is a must-get sort of thing. Deeper and deeper into this maddening vortex I go ,where I stop, nobody knows... But, really, I'm ok with that! BTW, that is a nice looking rig and bowl you got going on there.

Peter I just got my keyboard cleaned up from seeing this on the other site and now I have a mess again. I'll have one someday. Hope you enjoy it.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I am not even going to attempt to make a HF like this until I do have a rig similar to that...I have enough to learn to keep me busy in the mean time anyway, but I do hope to have one of these by spring time.

Peter, congrats!!! You already know this, but you are going to love this system! The more you use it, the more you will wonder how/why you made it this long without one!

Nice seeing one on another DVR... Randy said mine should ship early next week.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs