Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laguna lathe??

New Laguna lathe??

I thought I recalled a post on this lathe sometime recently, but a quick search didn't net anything.

I was at Woodcraft today, and they had received a new Laguna lathe. 20" swing, 600 lbs., 3 hp, 3 phase with an inverter. LOTS of cast iron. Nice smooth ways. The sucker was massive. Some of the castings were a little rough, and it was pretty plane jane - kind of industrial looking. Didn't have the good looks of the Jet or PM. They had it priced at about $2,700, with a 10% off introductory sale.

I looked on the Laguna website and didn't see it listed. Funny, the Woodcraft owner told me when they looked at the manual, it said "Congratulations on your new Craftsman lathe!!" I guess the same factory is apparently making some for Sears.

Anyone else gotten a peek at this one?

2. John,

The last I knew of Sears, they were not any longer carrying any lathe with a craftsman brand................that may have changed. I know one could get a Jet lathe through them, but that was about all. This is an interesting development. Roger Corder posted that the Grizzly G0698 had been discontinued......Laguna had their version of the same lathe.............now I wonder if the two events are related and a new unit will be forthcoming for Grizzly and Laguna? Speculation on my part, but I find this interesting to say the least.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I never thought to check the Grizzly website, but they do have this lathe! It is their G0694 - exactly the same lathe.

Obviously, I have not been in tune with what is out there. This lathe came out in early 2009 - sorry, but this is old news.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 02-19-2011 at 8:13 PM.

4. John,

I was on their website a couple of minutes ago myself, and I almost asked the question about this model........if it looked the same as the Laguna? I guess this is the one they will push now............I wonder if they would take a trade in on my G0698?

I am bummed out about them discontinuing the model I have, especially if I need service or parts in the future. I emailed them this afternoon about a lot of questions I have.

This lathe model [G0694] looks like it would match up with most units, but somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember a thread on that had at least one negative on the review, but I guess I will have to look it up. Maybe it was that there was no through hole in the headstock and a vacuum system could not be used.............maybe the one you saw, did it have a hole in the spindle?

Roger, I just searched the various SMC threads on this lathe, and apparently it does now have a thru hole. David Woodruff posted the specs back in December 2010 after a call to Grizzly. It is a lot of lathe, but depending on the price of the PM, it doesn't look like it would compete very well. However, if the PM is now up close to $4K, then that is another story. I can say it ran super quiet, but the fit/finish just is not PM quality.

6. Thanks John................I will await my reply from Grizzly on the continued support of the unit I have. I want to know if parts and service will be available in years to come. In my opinion they should never have started to carry this model if they did not intend to keep it at least for a few years, and intended to support it as long as customers need support and parts. Mind you, I have not heard anything other than they stand by their equipment 100 percent, but one can only wonder. I am hoping that Bill Crofutt will respond to my questions once again with some straight information.

We shall see...........

My G0698 has not had one issue in over a year I have used it.........in fact is has exceeded my initial expectations..........I just hope they will continue to support with parts and service in years to come.

Looks like Grizzly's version is a little more than $2800 delivered, so roughly in line with the Laguna. I know the PM retail price is much higher than that, but I bought my 3520B in December for less than $2900 delivered during their big sale event.

Odd that Grizzly and Laguna both have this lathe. I had heard that Grizzly's G0698 was a copy of Laguna's 18X47 lathe; maybe Grizzly came out with this one in 2009 and Laguna did a knock off this time? The Grizzly's shipping weight is around 850 pounds, so that is a lot of lathe.

Jon, with the PM on sale, there is absolutely no comparison in these lathes. The PM would win hands down. It would be an easy choice - but, I am not in the market!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I looked on the Laguna website and didn't see it listed. Funny, the Woodcraft owner told me when they looked at the manual, it said "Congratulations on your new Craftsman lathe!!" I guess the same factory is apparently making some for Sears.
    John, I have their 14" SUV bandsaw, it's really nice. However comma, the custormer service is lacking some. They're very nice, but it looks like they have to get several approvals before they can take action and with that they tend to forget and not call you back. Having said that, I know the bandsaw is built like a battle ship! Very heavy, runs true and scary quite. If the lathe is anything like the saw, it should be nice.

I was talking with the local Woodcraft Store owner, and they will now be carrying the Laguna bandsaws. Didn't know they would be carrying the lathes as well. Maybe customer service will improve. I do get a call from them once a year to offer me a deal on their bandsaw blades. I don't get them as I have a Lennox dealer here in town. Love my Laguna 16HD for bowl blank prep.

robo hippy

You know John, deep down in your heart, that same heart that loves working with wood, loves quality tools, loves everything about the woodworking experience, there is only Oneway you're ever going to be satisfied!

Curt, I must admit, were I to develop a desire for an upgrade, Oneway would have to be in the running - though a Robust American Beauty would certainly be a close second - or, maybe first!

John think about service--------Mustard is less than 200 miles south of here.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jon, with the PM on sale, there is absolutely no comparison in these lathes. The PM would win hands down. It would be an easy choice - but, I am not in the market!
    John,
    I think it is time for you to buy a new lathe
    ;o)

Guys, I appreciate the encouragement - I really do! But, everytime this topic comes up, the question is always the same. What would a different/bigger/better lathe do for me? The fact is that I enjoy doing the relatively small artsy stuff, and the Delta is just such a joy to use on that type of work. Nothing heavy, good speed, good power, and it does what I like to do very well.

So far, I have turned a couple of things that were 12" or so, but those were the rare exceptions for me. My true love is multi-piece turnings and HFs on a much smaller scale.

Not to say that those type of turnings on a big ol' lathe wouldn't be fun, but there is SO MUCH that I can do with those $$$ - like buy more burls and Claro walnut!!!