Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1,280 Pocket Holes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation 1,280 Pocket Holes

I need to drill 1,280 pocket holes! I have a DeWalt 14.4 that is in good condition but I know the batteries can't keep up with me. My son has the same drill and I can get his batteries, charger and drill. I was thinking about rotating, not only the batteries but the drills as well. Is this just too much demand for cordless drill?

If you guys think I should buy a corded drill (probably a 3/8), which one would have enough poop to hold up to this rather unusual demand?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I have no clue which drill to buy, but I'd love to know what your project is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fancher
    I have no clue which drill to buy, but I'd love to know what your project is.
    You won't believe it..Shutters! Yep, shutters. Each shutter is comprised of two solid panels made from poplar and range in length from 10'4" down to 5'6". These panels are attached to a "face frame" assembly. The face frame assembly is comprised of three stiles 3-1/2" wide by what ever length. The stiles are connected by 10 rails, five on either side of the center stile and connected to the outer stiles. So regardless of length, there are four holes for each rail and 10 rails for each shutter or 40 holes. There are 16 assemblies so that works out to 640 holes not 1280. Ops! I got the 1280 from my labor quote which included screwing them in. Anyway, I am sure my arm will give out before the drill will.

The spec'd material is clear poplar. Technically, it's pretty straight forward but physically it will kill me - if I get the job. I am fairly certain I will because apparently no one wants to do it. The finish is sprayed on latex. Why they want clear wood when they want it sprayed, is beyond me. Wish me luck...

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Byron,

I made the switch from my 14.4 cordless to a cheap variable speed corded drill for drilling pocket holes. I found that it's much faster and I keep the kreg bit in the drill all the time.

For driving the screws, I stick with the cordless and make the final "snug" turn by hand.

brent

Yikes, that's a lot of holes to drill

I think I would get a corded drill motor for this operation. Not only will you save time by not having to change batteries constantly, but the higher RPM of the corded drill will help out too.

My personal preference is to drill the holes with the corded drill and drive the screws with the cordless even when I am only doing a couple dozen holes. I think just about any 3/8" corded drill will work fine for your application.

Good luck with the project, but keep in mind, the tedium of drilling that many holes will certainly cause your "safety factor" to go into sleep mode. Try to stay sharp to avoid accidents and errors.

Chris DeHut

Yes you are much better off using a high rpm drill for the drilling part of the pocket hole process and use a batter drill with the clutch set so you won't snap any screws into.

The Dewalt 106 is what I use, works well and is inexpensive.

http://www.epinions.com/content_156044529284
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Thumbs up

Thanks fo the input. If I get the job, I think I will buy a corded drill. I didn't even think about the rpm. They would be drilled a lot faster and easier.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Kreg recomends a corded drill rated at 2,000 rpm or above.
    I use a Dewalt corded drill, and am very happy with it.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    Scott
    I second what Scott says.

Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J Bachler
    Just do it.
    I debated about this Porter Cable jig since way before it was owned by Porter Cable. But never really liked the huge pockets it made. Then when Kreg come out with the Foreman, it was exactly what I wanted, including being air powered.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    Scott
    I third what Scott says. I also use a DeWalt for drilling pocket holes. It has done an excellent job. I have a Milwaukee, but it is big and heavy and not as fast as an rpm speed as my lighter DeWalt.
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 01-22-2005 at 1:42 AM.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

As long as the rpm are up there pretty high, it don't matter if there is a cord or battery running the drill. After all, the drill bit don't know how the speed got there!

i bought a milwaukee 1/2inch "hole hawg" from the borg for $109 to mix thinset for ceramic tile jobs.can't kill it,mixing thinset ate my makita 3/8" drill.i think you should take a look at milwaukee.

Get a corded drill without a doubt, I did and would never go back.

My local Lowes in Kansas City had some Hitiachi (sp?) 3/8 corded drills regularly $50 for $20 under the sale table on the floor. You might want to check out your lowes if you have one.