Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented vase

Segmented vase

DSCF8910.JPGDSCF9039.JPGDSCF9040.JPGDSCF9033 (Medium).JPG

I recently built a new wooden wood lathe and this is my first attempt at making a segmented vase. I used walnut and perssimon. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

OK... the vase is nice. But what's with that lathe?!?! More pics and details PLEASE
    David DeCristoforo

I am impressed! Although, I think I would wire that thing and call it a lamp - perfect form for that. Nice work on the candlesticks, as well.

And, the lathe! I agree, you have taunted us with one little pic - more info and pics are required! It obviously works well.

I'll second David and John, the turnings are beautiful work but the lathe looks like a masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    OK... the vase is nice. But what's with that lathe?!?! More pics and details PLEASE
    David,
    I started a thread a while back on the lathe in woodworking projects. Here it is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...odel&highlight=

Ed, sorry I missed that thread - an impressive build! And, yes, it is OK to link to a video on the build/lathe operation so long as it is not for commercial purposes.

OK... I was not around in '04 (well I was "around"... just not around here!) so I missed that. Very impressive piece of work. I love these "home built" machines! Thanx for the link...
    David DeCristoforo

David, you are still tired from the move!! It was last month!!

You did an amazing job on that lathe, well on both lathes! And very nice turnings you produced on them as well, great job.

DSCF9023.jpgDSCF9024.jpgDSCF9021.JPGDSCF9013.JPGDSCF9022.jpg

Here are a few more pictures of what I went through to get a hollow vase without turning the inside. I used my CNC router to cut a 9 degree and 18 degree angle (which would make a 20 segment bowl or vase) and built this fixture. I used it to machine the wedges and also to cutout the outside and inside of the pieces. I glued them up in two halves so I could clean up the inside and remove any excess glue. Then I glued the two halves together and used a 2" fortsner bit to drill both ends. I made plugs for turning between centers and cleaned up the outside. The walls ended up about 5/6" thick. I was afraid to get any thinner because I had too much work into this project by then.

"David, you are still tired from the move!! It was last month!!"

Trust a lawyer to stand on technicality! Actually, I'm still moving. Be done around the middle of next week. Then a weekend in Carmel with my sweetheart. Then maybe I can get back to the lathe for a bit...
    David DeCristoforo

Ed
    Fabulous,Just great glue up,turning and finishing the candle sticks are very nice all so. Now about your lathe it unbelievable the design and craftsmanship are really
    thinking out of the box,heck thats thinking out of everyone's box. I went to the link and seen the photos, do you have any others you might post here for us.
    Harry

Ed nice turning with that lathe. Nicely done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful work - both the vase and your lathe! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

very exacting work, Ed. Have you been over at the segmented site? Lots of great segmenter there.