Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lignum Vitae Wall Piece

to do that work in such a hard to work wood is incredible. How are the pieces held together? since most glues will not stick to it. the price here for the wood alone would be over 6000.00
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Blog Entries
    I have to think it was sweet sorrow when you put the last piece on it. If you are like me at all, you continue to ask yourself "What am I forgetting?" It's just so hard to tell yourself "I'm done." Again, a true masterpiece. Do you have anything else to share with us? I look forward to your work.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Valle View Post
    Wow Ed, thank you very much for these words... this is the type of words that are said when one is already dead......at least I had the chance to see them while I'm alive....
    Alexander,
    It's nice for us that you're alive too! Hopefully you will continue to share your work with us. Thank you again.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

i have worked with some great cabinetmakers in my years but i dont think a single one of them would have the patience to produce such a masterpiece as you have done,truly magnificent , long may you continue to produce pieces of this class ,i bow to a master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I have to think it was sweet sorrow when you put the last piece on it. If you are like me at all, you continue to ask yourself "What am I forgetting?" It's just so hard to tell yourself "I'm done." Again, a true masterpiece. Do you have anything else to share with us? I look forward to your work.
    I made another Lignum Vitae piece for a customer... a hanging wall piece (like a painting)...it had over 2,500 pieces. Unfortunately, I lost all pictures when my last PC was infected with a virus (in fact, the only three pictures of the L. Vitae table posted here were save because I sent them attached in an e-mail). The customer is a very nice guy and I'm sure I can get permission to take a few photos to post them here.

I began an octagonal table top ( L. Vitae too) some time ago... if I have time, tomorrow I'll take a few pictures to post them in this thread...I hope to go on with this project if I encourage myself...let see ...it takes time and I have two kids (7 and 10) that need attention and time too...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Is this going to be for sale some day?
    Oh Bill, I did not notice this question...sorry. Well, the problem selling this kind of work is that is a very hard task to find a buyer...I hope some day find one. Alexander

I, too Alex, am blown away by this 'alter' you've made. It is what it seems like to me.
    I was thinking about the craftsmen that worked on cathedrals. Working out of devotion.
    I'm not religious, but I recognize the dedication to something you love to do.
    Seems like you've made a piece that will please people for a long time to come.

I gotta say thats about the finest woodworking I ever recall seeing, on the internet or anywhere else. Couple of questions; Did you use woods other that Lignum Vitae? or did you color the other woods. Did you use Lignum Vitae cause it's more available for you or that you prefer it to rosewoods etc for this type of hi-end woodworking? Cheers, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    I gotta say thats about the finest woodworking I ever recall seeing, on the internet or anywhere else. Couple of questions; Did you use woods other that Lignum Vitae? or did you color the other woods. Did you use Lignum Vitae cause it's more available for you or that you prefer it to rosewoods etc for this type of hi-end woodworking? Cheers, Barry
    Thanks Barry for your comments. There are no stained woods...the other wood I used are: West Indian Satinwood, Lead wood, Cobana Negra, Ceboruquillo, Bullet wood, Ortegon, Black Olive wood, Fustic and Bay-Run. There is no Rosewood here in PR and Lignum Vitae is more or less available here..... but it is very restricted by natural resources agencies

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hudson View Post
    I, too Alex, am blown away by this 'alter' you've made. It is what it seems like to me.
    I was thinking about the craftsmen that worked on cathedrals. Working out of devotion.
    I'm not religious, but I recognize the dedication to something you love to do.
    Seems like you've made a piece that will please people for a long time to come.
    Thanks Russel for your comment. You have no idea how many people have asked me if it is an altarpiece....but not...it is just furniture for the sake of art.

Now that is truly a beautiful art. You can keep looking at it and find something new to see. Wow, sometimes I see a great piece of art and try to duplicate it myself, not this time. Such detail. I think I'd have it behind glass under lock and key. Really stunning work. Think I'll save this pic for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mahoney View Post
    Now that is truly a beautiful art. You can keep looking at it and find something new to see. Wow, sometimes I see a great piece of art and try to duplicate it myself, not this time. Such detail. I think I'd have it behind glass under lock and key. Really stunning work. Think I'll save this pic for inspiration.
    Thanks Tim...you can see a more pictures and better information at: http://www.woodweb.com/galleries/pro...osts/1714.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    to do that work in such a hard to work wood is incredible. How are the pieces held together? since most glues will not stick to it. the price here for the wood alone would be over 6000.00
    Thank you Steve for your comment....sorry but I miss to answer you. I used 2-part 30 minutes epoxy glue for big pieces (all joints)....for smaller ones I used medium viscosity CA. Regarding the price of L. Vitae, here in PR it is mainly sell by weight...not bf. However, this wood is not found on any sawmill. It was a task of several years to get enough L. Vitae for my projects...even here it is not an easy task. Actually I'm negociating a 21" diameter and 8 feet tall log of L. Vitae...if everything is Ok it will cost me to make several mortars to the farmer...no money...lets see...

That is almost hard to believe. My god you must have loved what you are doing. That is one of the finest pieces of woodworking I have ever seen. I hope this is somewhere for al to see!
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sanson View Post
    That is almost hard to believe. My god you must have loved what you are doing. That is one of the finest pieces of woodworking I have ever seen. I hope this is somewhere for al to see!
    T

Thanks Bill...