Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accident Free, No More

Dick,

Glad the injury wasn't too bad. We all need to be reminded to be careful.

John

I am sorry to hear of your injury, but wanted to post a note to thank you for sharing since these types of posts serve as valuable reminders to all of us. These tools we use daily can bite us quite quickly, and there can never be too many reminders of this.
    May you heal quickly.
    Alan

3. Dick,

So sorry to hear about your accident, buddy. Please take care and see the doctor just to make sure everything is all right. We want you back in the shop making all the wonderful things you make.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Accident Free No More

Dick it is good to hear it was not worse. The healing will take some time at that location. As with others I speak from experience. Mine was cutting off my middle finger and to the bone on my index finger, same location. Docs re-sewed my middle and stiched my index. My index healed fine and so should yours. You will be back making saw dust in no time,with better knowlege of any blade. (Check my words at bottom)

Ron
    Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!
    He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless gone.

Wow - sorry to hear about that. It's pretty scary. I am lucky to not have any major accidents yet. But the closest I ever came was with a BS. The blade was about to exit the wood and there was my hand right there to catch it. My wife, who is NEVER down there with me, happened to be watching. She said "you better move your hand". So I moved it and acted like I knew the whole time. She actually saved me from a big cut across all my fingers.

Stefan

Thanks everyone. Ya I was lucky and will remember this one for a long time. Like I said, that bloody glove will get duck taped to the BS as a reminder to slow down. Mickey also said she isn't going to tell me again (she has been telling me for years to slow down), she is just going to smack me every time she see's me in a hurry doing anything.

Thinking about it, one other contributing factor is the blade is not very sharp causing me to push harder then usual. Just Sunday Bill was telling me to change it when we were cutting up the stoppers. Today I will be ordering some new blades.

Just changed the bandage and all looks OK. Cleaned it up again and got it to bleed some more and then put on some more antibiotic and a new butterfly bandage. I remembered what a doctor told me 35 years ago when I was working on a submarine and got cut pretty bad in the Navy that as long as it is a controlled bleed, it will help to clean the wound. So I let it bleed some before putting all the good stuff on it and closing it back up.

So the lessons learned in this accident were to, Not be in a hurry, No matter what keep everything out of the line of a blade and Not to use dull blades. These are all things that I knew but got complacent with because nothing ever happened

So thanks again for the well wishes. I think I will take a vacation from the shop for a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dick Parr; 01-20-2005 at 10:15 AM.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dick, Thanks for sharing your accident with us. The flag you waved may prevent someone else from having a similar accident. Hope you heal fast.
    Jerry

Dick
    Sorry to hear about you mishap. Glad it wasn't worse. You should check with your Dr or clinic and find out when you last had a tetinus shot. They recomend you should have one at least every 10 years but an the case of an injury they often give them sooner. Better safe than sory.

Work safely.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I was a millroom supervisor at a store fixture manufacturing plant for 9 years and one of the things that I really stressed was when the little voice inside your head tells you that your doing something wrong, STOP, shut the machine off, step away & think about it, or get help. Every person I ever knew (a bunch, including myself) that had been cut, all had a thought that what they were doing was wrong just before it happened.

Very sorry about the finger, best wishes on a fast recovery.

Dick

Sorry about the accident. That sent shivers down my back reading it!
    That is an especially touchy place to get a bad cut.
    Thanks for the reminder and all those that do send us reminders from time to
    time. It let's us all know how easy it could happy to anyone at any time.
    AND the worst part - I always looked forward to those beautiful bowls
    so get well soon!

This is what happened to me 4 years ago. Was in a hurry using my table saw. The rest is history...... sorry to hear about your mishap. You will be fine , just remember to take your time. I have to always remind myself that when I fire up my table saw now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale rex; 01-20-2005 at 6:52 PM.

You overbought on that Grizzly 18" BS for such a small job Dick. I had the misfortune Sunday to find out that the G0555 is more than capable of cutting through 90% of my pinkie bone.
    Fifteen hours in the ER which included almost three hours of surgery taught me the same lessons you learned.
    The funny thing on the way to the hospital while trying not to black out was that I was going to miss the Patriot game. Tells you where my head was at.
    I went to the surgeons office this afternoon and was relieved to see for the first time the results of someone other than a woodworker who was better with sharp objects than I am.
    While there is nerve damage he is confident with therapy I can get most of my mobility back. This wrap will keep me out of the shop for another three weeks minimum though.
    And to Mr. Russell, yes it was the log I did it on. Still want pics?

Dave, your surgeon is correct. I went through four months of therapy to regain the motion in all four fingers.(all four were cut severely). They did a superb job at getting my strength and motion back. I have some nerve damage in the one finger, but it gets better as time goes on.(nerves regenerate to some degree, but it takes along time) I hope you heal up ok and all is well.Four years ago I thought I would never be able to look at my table saw again......two weeks ago I just bought a new Unisaw....go figure. good luck with your recovery, and stay safe

Dick,

I feel for you my firend. My TS adventure is still very clear in my mind. Heal well and get back on the horse.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Add me to the list...I was in a hurry to get to the woodworking show in Edison Dec.17th, was angle-cutting a 2x4 for a doorway step plate on the MM16...Next thing I know I'm holding my right hand as tight as I can praying when I look at it there's still a finger there. Turns out it caught my ring finger and part of the nail. The ER doc said it was minor league compared to most bandsaw accidents he's see and was able to superglue it. Got the booster shot just like Jim. Fortunately, I was back in business in a few days but gave the MiniMax a wide berth for some time...