Thread: Another Leather Work

Another Leather Work

I have a friend that does leather work, belts, holsters, etc. He gave me a bunch of scrap leather. You may recall a previous pen I made from one of my old leather belts. It came out very dark. The leather I got from my friend although it was scrap, it was new leather and very light in color. I was hoping that a pen made from it would be lighter. NOT! It came out a slightly different and prettier shade but still very dark. Something about its reaction to CA I am guessing. At any rate here it is for your review.

Stats
    Hardware = WoodCraft Gold SlimLine
    Barrel Material = Heavy (3/16" thick) new leather
    Finish = About 10 coats of CA w/occasional 1200g sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"The best things in life are not things."

I think I like it. Has good color and the appearance of the texture is cool. I'm not a fan of the kit though but that's just a personal preference. Was that 10 coats of thin , medium, or both. just curious as I usually use six medium when I use CA. I'm sure the leather sucked up several coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McInturff View Post
    I think I like it. Has good color and the appearance of the texture is cool. I'm not a fan of the kit though but that's just a personal preference. Was that 10 coats of thin , medium, or both. just curious as I usually use six medium when I use CA. I'm sure the leather sucked up several coats.
    I personally don't care that much for the slimline either but it is a good seller and they are usually the ones I use for gifts. This one is going to the friend that gave me the leather.

The whole stack was initially soaked with thin to hold it together then drilled and turned. After turning to finish size I then applied two coats of thin followed by 8 coats of medium.
    Last edited by James Combs; 02-21-2011 at 11:01 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

I didn't see the prior leather pen but I like this one quite a bit. It sounds like it take a lot of CA. My wife liked it too.

Marc Himes

I like it. Nice job. The color looks rich to me.
    "We the People ........"

Leather burnishes with pressure and heat. That is what produces the shading on good tooling leather. I still have a large collection of leather working tools and materials sitting around. The pen is very nice. Your friend should like it.

love it!! I think the dark leather goes well with the gold.