Thread: Segmented Jr Gent & Ultra Cigar pens

Segmented Jr Gent & Ultra Cigar pens

Here are two pens I just turned. The ultra cigar turned out well. It is spalted maple. The segmented one is the one I have been asking about how to do, and what kit, etc. The segmented Jr Gent didn't turn out like I wanted. But I learned a lot from it, and I will do one like this again. I love the Jr Gent kits. (I also found a place that sells em for about $7) The cap turned out great, but the other part I messed up. I did not drill perfectly straight through. That really showed up toward the small cap end. I still like it, but it could have been done so much better. It is my first try at segmented anything. The woods for the segments are maple, cocobolo, maple again, and bocote.

All comments all welcome, good or bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These are beautiful pens, David. The segmented one looks like a lot of work, but turned out great as did the maple pen. Your pen kits are really classy. Where did they come from?

Marc Himes

David,
    Nice job your first try at the segmented pen. Both pens are very sharp.

They both look awfully nice in the pics. Did you do the segmenting on the blank? If so, nice job for sure. Looks like a lot of work. Thanks for posting.

Outstanding David!!! Where do the Ultra cigar kits come from, they really catch the eye. Someone is going to have a happy birthday or a merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 02-22-2011 at 9:22 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Both pens look good. I'm not a gold kit guy so I would have used a platinum or black TI for the cigar but that's just my opinion. I just made a cigar with a similar segmentation as the Jr. Gent and I have a hint for drilling straight on a blank like that. Once you have the blank glued up, mount it between centers on the lathe putting the points on the center of the blank. Turn the blank just so it's round, then mount it in a chuck and drill it on the lathe. This way you don't have to hold an odd shape when drilling, worked for me.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

Nice work on both of them. I've done a few dozen segmented pens like that, and I found it easier to drill them before I cut the segments... I just stacked and glued them on the tubes after drilling and cutting. There are probably a dozen ways to skin that cat, and you've obviously had success with yours. Nicely done.

Thanks for the advice Jon. I have a drill chuck for my lathe, but I don't have anything to hold to the pen blank with. I need to get a collect chuck, or a set of pin jaws for my Nova chuck.

I drilled the blank before I cut the segments, but I didn't notice is wasn't straight until I had it all glued up. I will attempt the segmented pen again. If you want to know where I got the kits, just PM me. I don't want to post it as I have only placed one order with them. And I don't know the rules on posting other sites info.

I have the 25mm jaws for my chuck so that's what I use, it would be a good investment for you. You'll find that drilling on the lathe works very well in a number of situations. If you intend to try some resin or plastic blanks you'll find that you get a lot less blow outs drilling on the lathe.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

David they are both very nice but that segmented one just catches my eye. I am going to have to do some searches on tutorials as I would love to do one of those. Great job!

John

Both pens are great. I use this to drill my pen blanks. Fast and accurate. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK.html
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.