Thread: skew

skew

I'm looking for a skew that's powder coated texas humidity has not been nice to my other tools anyone know somewhere i can buy one 1'' minimum size thanks.

how about doing a cold blue on it?

I blue all my chisels to prevent rust

I have found that the finish on the Doug Thompson tools is very resistant to rust. I believe the finish is the product of the multiple heat treats and cryo treatments that Doug uses for his tools. They aren't available all the time, so best to call him and see what his schedule is on the skews.

I have not had any of my tools rust at all except for a few of the old carbon steel ones that I got with a beautiful rust patina! If you wipe them down when you are finished with a little wax and make sure they are dry I can't see them rusting. But are you near the coast and salt air? If so that may be why they are rusting, but a little wipe with WD-40 or paste wax works wonders and sap and other stuff comes off after you are done for the day, same thing for the ways of the lathe also.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I do like Jeff and clean my tools then apply a paste wax. Sure does make it easier to clean when doing wet, sappy wood. Also clean the bed lathes with WD40 and then paste wax.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Actually, it is ok if your skew rusts. It opens paint cans just fine whether it is rusty or shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Actually, it is ok if your skew rusts. It opens paint cans just fine whether it is rusty or shiny!
    Haha! That made me laugh. Serious side, since I live in the rust capital of the US, I keep them dry and wipe them down with paste wax. They do rust, but it's okay to get that patina. Once you get that layer, it stops rusting. As mentioned, Dougs tools seem immune to rust, with reasonable care. They still look the same to me.

David, I don't think you will find a PC skew. While it is tougher than paint it would still flake off from wear along the tool rest and probably wouldn't slide very well along the rest. If you are set on that you could take them to a local PC shop, but I would just use paste wax or something like Boeshield. Wipe them down after use and that will help a lot. I've found that HSS doesn't tend to rust much (like my carbon steel handtools). And as others have mentioned, the Thompsons have a surface treatment that seems to keep them from rusting.