Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep sawdust/shavings from getting on a roubo's shelf

How to keep sawdust/shavings from getting on a roubo's shelf

This is my bench:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...94#post1518194

Since that photo was taken, I added a shelf by resting some boards on the long stretchers. This is very nice for storing my planes, as they are always on hand.

However, when I saw something clamped on the leg vise, or sometimes when planing, sawdust/shavings manage to fly and land on the shelf; the shelf's front is flush with the legs and with the benchtop. This is rather unnerving, as the planes and the front of the shelf end up quite sawdust-y.

Does anyone have ideas for how to solve this? I don't really want to add drawers or doors at this point; I *really* need a sliding deadman and that would seem to interfere with those.

Blow compressed air through it or vacuum off the tops of the planes each time you clean up your shavings.

Happens to me, too. I don't worry about it until there's really a lot on the planes, and then I will run a vaccum roughly across the tops to get the bigger shavings.

To keep sawdust off the shelf,please refrain from making any.

Blog Entries
    Think wind tunnel... or curtains.

Making omelets breaks eggs, working wood makes dust.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Federico,

I'm with the other folks on this one. Woodworking in the shop can make a mess including sawdust and shavings. I just sweep it all up when necessary . If it makes you feel any better, the shelf under my bench collects dust and shavings too.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

A cheap shop vac with a blower option is awesome. I picked up a cheapo and it's the best. Sweep up the big stuff, vacuum the rest, and then blow everything out.

I really like your workspace and your bench by the way. It seems like the kind of place that you'd feel really creative in.

Good luck finding tung oil down there!!

You could always build a box between the stretchers and make what is now the shelf a lid. Your planes wouldn't be quite as at the ready, but they wouldn't have dust all over them either.

For awhile I stored various hand tools on my workbench shelf, but I got tired of them being covered with sawdust. Now I just store lumber (shorts) on the shelf -- they add weight and I don't care how dirty they get.

How about some sort of curtain arrangement? You could tack up some cloths, maybe three or four panels that overlap slightly. This would keep the junk out and still give you easy access to the shelf.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Dust is good. It absorbs all the glue and shellac I spill.

I also stored tools on the workbench shelf when I started, quickly built a couple of cabinets (think big bottom kitchen with shelves between) off to the side of the bench. Bingo, no dust and a lot less rust on my tools.

Pam

Just a thought on blowing the dust and shaving off. This will cause a LOT of nasty dust etc billowing into the air, so make sure you wear a mask or have an extractor pipe on it. but really, wood working makes a mess, and planes are dust proof.
    I can resist anything except temptation. ( Oscar Wilde )

Thanks, all. Looks like it's time to bring the shop vac down to the woodshop. Or maybe I should make a proper plane till and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Dust is good. It absorbs all the glue and shellac I spill.

I thought it was for absorbing the blood.

Even if you make a cabinet you will get saw dust in the cabinet..
    Some people mmake their shelfs from slats so the chips can fall thought to the floor..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource