Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: business cards - need to pick one material

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Chris, I love it! Very nice and efficient use of the folding thing, which could have used a cut out of anything, really.

thanks for sharing, dee
    Thanks much. I plan also to use the same technique to make the save-the-dates for my wedding - turning the card to portrait and cutting out a silhouette of a man and woman embracing...I think I'll go with printed text on a white stock instead though.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by chris degerolamo View Post
    Attachment 184020

Dee - here is a photo. The text is engraved to the core of the stock, exposing a gray color while vectoring the AR and score line

(If this breaks any forum rules, let me know and I'll edit out company info.)
    Very cool! nice work!

Scott - great site, tho I suspect I will be wasting a lot of time browsing it.

Chris - interesting card, I guess if I was your target audience I'd understand it heh. Does it stand upright ? it seems like the horizontal line would be too high, but that could just be a perspective thing.

I was looking at Chewbarka's site but didn't see any business card stock ? Do you have to call for those ?

Quote Originally Posted by stefano panusa View Post
    Scott - great site, tho I suspect I will be wasting a lot of time browsing it.

Chris - interesting card, I guess if I was your target audience I'd understand it heh. Does it stand upright ? it seems like the horizontal line would be too high, but that could just be a perspective thing.

I was looking at Chewbarka's site but didn't see any business card stock ? Do you have to call for those ?
    It's the perspective, yes it does sit upright. The angle is prime to stare you in the face if it were sitting at your desk. Referring to the stock, I was able to pick it up at a Jerry's Artarama. Michaels and AC Moore do not stock it anymore. This material was key in order to get the contrast! As always, get what you can and test it on your own to see what works for you. Thanks!
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Here is a run of different card stocks I was trying. Anodized aluminum and wood.

I finally settled on anodized aluminum and got black and red from chewbarka. I found the quality of the anodizing to be better on the red than the black, but both are good. I cannot comment on the blue. Sorry for the flash in the picture.

2011-02-24_Red_Anodize.jpg

From Cards of wood, I got a sample pack and I found the curly maple to be my favorite. It just felt right, had a cool shimmery grain structure and lasered a good reddish brown contrast. It costs slightly more than the regular woods but well worth it. The curly maple is either the upper right or the bottom row 2nd column. You can buy the sheets of wood from COW and that might be nice to make a custom card, with a special edge on it or a vector cut design. This might be my next run of cards.

Overall the red anodize was the best all around. They are precision cut and heavy enough that the laser head won't move it when it zips by. No fixturing, fast and looked nice.

SBL Business Cards-50%.jpg
    Last edited by Russell Ludwick; 02-24-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 30W (firing at about 34W) 29"x17"
    CNC machinist using Mastercam for Mills and Lathes
    Mechanical Engineer using Solidworks and Pro Engineer Wildfire
    Aquariumist Extrodinaire

Very neat and quite inventive. You really got my imagination going on this one!!!
    Tom Sieczkarek
    Cutting Light Custom Laser Engraving
    Epilog Helix -60 watts
    Sandblasting Cabinet
    Various wood working equipment

I like this alot. Very cool. Where did you get the card stock?
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Trotec Speedy 360 80 watts, Corel x8, AI, PhotoShop CS8
    Epilog Legend 24EX 35 Watt (DOA) still selling parts,(some stil in the box or package)
    Universal VLS4.60 60 Watt (leaving soon)