Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HF - The good and the bad

I have to agree about hit or miss.

My list of good includes:
    -#2 Morse taper drill chick-have several for my lathes
    -HSS turning tools-NOT the "tool steel" one-great for learning to sharpen turning tools
    -right angle drill-still trying to kill my first one-keyed chuck
    -diamond tip grinding burrs-do the job
    -ear muffs for noise protection-have them by every machine
    -brad nailers-they work
    -various gloves
    -Goodyear air hose-as has already been mentioned
    -air hose reel-at least 6 years old-holds above hose
    -chip brushes, acid brushes, artist brushes, various disposables
    -welding magnets
    -star (Torx) socket bits-when you need them you need them
    -Evaporust
    -Slime

You get the point. I have also had some junk too, but not much. I've had a few things that I got for a single use and considered disposable but still have them. I watch for sales and coupons. And I like the free flashlights too-they come with batteries.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Most HF stuff I've acquired has a lot of age on them.

Several iterations of pneumatic paint spray rigs from pressure buckets to detail shooters including regular and HVLP. All are air hogs relative to the upgrade gear that I now use (airless and "modern" HVLP) but not bad for startup sets and I have sprayed a lot of trim with them.

Two dust collectors, a 20+ year old 1hp single bag that is still kickin' and built like the fabled brick outhouse compared to the newer 2hp job that most around here are familiar with.

Several pneumatic impact guns are OK but again they're old. A few sets of impact sockets which are great, lot's of use, hardly worn.

Flooring jacks, heavy and useful, OK

Misc. wrench sets thrown in there somewhere and would have to say that they are useful as a starter set.

Tried a few carpentry items like catspaws, prybars and the like but they don't hold up.

Pretty much it.

what about the HF 6x9 belt disc sander?

Has anyone used the 6" x 9" belt disc sander?

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...nder-6852.html

They have it on sale for $199 and with a 20% coupon comes out around $159.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Sandpaper is exactly as advertised. Sand on paper LOL!!!
    But not for very long - major waste of money.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    But not for very long - major waste of money.
    Slightly off topic but! Ocean state job lot has a load of Norton sandpaper in, contractor packs i think 20 sheets or so for 5 bucks , think their 1 foot squares, and had sand sponges, even some big ones
    The smell of saw dust and new tools.......

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Popiel View Post
    Has anyone used the 6" x 9" belt disc sander?

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...nder-6852.html

They have it on sale for $199 and with a 20% coupon comes out around $159.

Thanks
    I bought the 36inch bench top version, so far no complaints, except like all the other reviewers of them, no dust collection, got make your own rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The quick-grip-type clamps may break easily, but it's because the use a little plastic pin for the handle to pivot on. If you open them up, you can replace it with a bolt. You can also shim the clutch mechanism a little so that it holds onto the bar tighter.

I bought a dozen of them when they were on sale for $1.99. I've opened about half of them and fixed them, and now they work great.
    . I need to give that a try. I stopped in for a few things and found them on sale. I had read the reports but for the price I thought I'd give them a look. I think I bought 4 12's and 2 18's. I used them for the first time last night with my Irwins but poped 3 of them. I broke the handle on 1 and I did see the plastic mounts. I may just take them back and go by the BORG for my tried and true Jorgs.
    As for the gems, I have the 1/2 inch benchtop shaper and saw it on sale for $75! The miter slot isn't perfect in mine but for cutting mortice it works great. I made a sled to cut dovetail keys in miters a one for dados as well.

The plate joiners is ok at best. The 14x41 lathe is ok only after a TON of work tuning it to get everything straight. It only has a few speeds with the slowest being way to fast for anything not round to start with.
    The planes are average but you need to replace the iron before using the thin oem one.
    Cen tec digital angle guage works so far. 12 sliding compound miter saw is fine after you junk the oem blade. It is touchy to set up at first but mine has stayed true thru many bf of red oak/cherry/walnut.

I have the 2hp DC unit and it is great for the money (139.00), also picked up their link belt for my bandsaw and it is good.
    I'm concidering there pin nailer, don't have much use for one but could use it now and then. What concerns me is I'm use to my Senco and PC guns that are trouble free and work perfectly that i'm thinking if I'm gonna get a pinner it needs to be one of those brands to make me happy but the cost verses the use is what holds me back.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Whitten View Post
    ...I'm gonna get a pinner it needs to be one of those brands to make me happy but the cost verses the use is what holds me back.
    I originally got a pinner (Cadex) for kitchen installs, holding rope trims, crowns and the like together while the glue set.

Have since found many more uses for those little pins. They'll tack together 1/4" plywood butt joints (with glue) for utility bins and small drawers, hold cabinet door panels in place (one pin top and bottom), many jigs, hold new skins (for glue set) on cabinet sides, easy to release hold on long trims to scribe/mark and so on. Virtually invisible fastners wherever you need them. Need to angle them to help with the "pull out" but surpisingly strong on the shear.

Don't know about the HF pinner but if you feel better about your favorite brand for the long haul, don't worry, you'll probably find many more uses for it than planned.

10. Just bought a new and different item there that so far i am very pleased with! Its called the SuperSwitch Pro. For wireless remote operation of 3 devices! 100foot range, thru walls and floors, I use it so far to run a pair of shop lites over my bench and my shop vac. Only $14 and change.