Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HF - The good and the bad

HF - The good and the bad

I know this subject has been kicked around, but I haven't seen much lately. Given my experiences, I thought I'd like to share.

The following are a few items purchased from HF, some at store, some by website, and comments on each:

- Dust collection kit - get 2 lengths (likely about 10'each) of 4" hose (seems very good quality, 10 clamps, a wye, a couple blast gates, table saw collector. Everything but the table saw collector were great and used. In fact, I ordered more blast gates. I'd highly recommend this item.

- Floor cushion mats - not the thickest, but priced right, and appear they'll be a good value. I'd buy again.

- SAE and Metric combination wrenches - I bought a large set of each. I'm only an occasional user, they appear to be a very good value for such use.

- Digital calipers - they have several models, I bought mine about 10 months ago, works good, found out I use it more than ever thought.

- Just ordered a couple of floor stands with rollers for my table saw, planer, etc. Haven't rec'd them yet, but look like a good value.

-Bar clamps (about 12" size) - I bought about 6 8-10 mos. ago at the store. I tried each of them at the store in attempt to insure they held. But after a little use at home, one is worthless, the balance are very weak - proceed with caution on these,

- Bought a package of 2 mag type flashlights (one 3-D cells, the other 2 AAA cells). The large one is OK, but I'd not buy again. The small one quit working, and I've not taken enough time in attempt to find the problem.

I bought sandpaper and Evapo-rust at HF, and I wouldn't get the sandpaper again.

Mike

Blog Entries
    The c-clamps I bought there have held up so far.

The quick clamps (like the irwin style) both broke on the very first use.

Bar clamps... so far, decent but I haven't used them hard yet.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

As a working class poor person who goes into Woodcraft and drools, I get what i can when i can. If it was not for HF i would not be able to own much at all.
    My happy buys;
    The red 5 drawer service cart! When its on sale for 159.00 a steal! Best box for the money period.
    4 foot aluminium bar clamps for 11.99 very strong so far.
    i have a few of the quick release bar clamps, used them to make my bench top! The ratchet clamps suck! will not hold more than cardboard together.
    I have the 1 1/2 HP plunge router so far so good, in hindsight maybe would have gotten it's big brother for the 1/2 inch chuck over the 1/4. {more bits}
    The hand power planer rocks!
    Got a set of the Fostner bits, work like a charm.
    Got the 49.00 benchtop drill press [keyed chuck don't by the keyless], no problems except like most, no really much drill depth.
    The last thing i got was the 10inch woodworking vise for under 40.00 with coupon. Sold out but they sold me the display! Wish it was quick release.
    So in conclusion, so far my only not buy again is the ratcheting clamps.
    Last edited by Robert Rolfe; 02-23-2011 at 9:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    The c-clamps I bought there have held up so far.

The quick clamps (like the irwin style) both broke on the very first use.

Bar clamps... so far, decent but I haven't used them hard yet.
    Agree on the quick clamps....

My boss at work is an HF guy, it buys everything there. He bought 8 of the quick clamps and was telling me how great they were and how cheap they were. I had him bring them in and out of the 4 he brought in 3 of the would not grip much at all before they started to slip.

There are definitely some bargains at HF. I have about 30 of the 6" F clamps. I had one bad one, but the rest have held up well under fairly brutal treatment. I paid less than $2 each on sale. It's a hard deal to beat if you need a whole bunch for a lamination.

I also like the aluminum bar clamps. They aren't the best choice for forcing a joint together, but they're great for when you need a bunch of clamps for edge gluing shelving or building plywood boxes. You can clamp on 6 or 8 of them and still be able to move whatever you're working on. I think I paid $6 each for 36". I don't recommend the 60" clamps.

They also have great deals on toggle clamps, at least half what you'd pay elsewhere. The quality seems totally acceptable. I've paid $5 each for them.

Acid brushes are a bargain as well. When they run a sale ( nearly always) you can get a bag of ( I think) 50 for $4.

WY vices. I have added a 6" XY vice to my DP and a 4" vice to my mortiser. Couldn't live without then. One sale around $40 each.

I have quite a bit of HF stuff in my shop, mostly because I am on a bit of a budget... Most of it has actually been decent, some has been a down right waste of money....

32208 14" 3 speed band saw (the old model) Good reliable basic band saw. This one won out over the Ridgid and Delta models at Home Depot and Lowes. I would have preferred a Grizzly G0555, but this will do quite nicely. The new model seems to fix a few annoyances such as the rattling wheel doors, and the short tension rod. I hot rodded mine with the Grizzly tension release, riser block, cool blocks, cobra coil mobile base, Craftsman band saw fence, assortment of Timberwolf blades, wheel brush, and link belts all for less money that the G0555P (without the shipping upcharge).

34706 12x36 lathe. Took a few minutes cleaning and adjusting to get the headstock and tailstock to line up, but other than that it's been a great lathe. Just as good as any of the other Jet 1236 clones on the market...

97869 2HP dust collector. Good basic unit, lousy bag. Upgrade to a Wynn filter and be a happy camper... Best buy if you are looking for a single stage collector. Far and away inferior to say a 5HP Clearvue cyclone, but then again, if you can afford one of those, you won't even look at a HF 2HP DC would you?

98194 12" sliding compound miter saw. Followed the instruction book to dial it in, and threw away the OEM garbage blade in favor of a Diablo 80T, makes dead on accurate miters, cuts just as clean and accurate as the Festool I drool over at Rockler, just not as quiet or dust free. I haven't had this one very long, but have used the snot out of it in the time I have had it, it is holding up just fine so far. No odd noises or looseness...

40004 2HP 8 gallon air compressor. It works. Powers my nail guns, impact wrench, airs up tires etc.. It's a bit puny to run a spray gun with, but it CAN be made to work...

98733 21 deg framing nailer. Big, bulky, powerful. Drives the nails all the way in, doesn't seem to jam. So far I have built 2 fences, a shed, and repaired some hurricane damaged framing in a friends attic with it. Worth the money to me.

66995 23 ga pin nailer. Drives the pins just fine, jam free.

66872 16ga finish nailer. Quality control on these is somewhat lacking. The first one I had was missing a wrist pin in the piston. The second has already blown out the gasket in the top of the housing... I need to see if I can get a replacement without replacing the gun. I am worried somehow it would be worse...

97524 Nailer / Stapler combo gun. Shoots staples just fine. Don't bother using it as a nailer. Tends to make dimples in nailer mode...

38425 Hole Saw set. Don't bother. Cups not round, pilot bit won't cinch down, just bad product...

Various item #s. Sanding sponges. Great if you get them on sale cheap. They tend to fall apart faster than the big name sanding sponges, but they do the job well enough for the money...

Various item #s. F style bar clamps. A great bargain, in some ways better than the Jorgenson (at least the HF clamps come with clamp pads, the Jorgensons don't), in some ways worse (I can see a HF clamp failing before a Jorgenson...). I have almost 50 of them and have had only one failure. HF swapped it out no questions asked. I am actually shocked to see the bad reports on these that I do. I use mine HARD and they are holding up fine.

31255 3/4" pipe clamps. I haven't used them much, but they have worked well when I have used them.

Item # unknown, the big I think 18 pc spring clamp set. These are plastic resin clamps, but the work fine, are cheap, have great holding power, adjustable pads etc... Just don't drill through them and you are fine. Don't ask me how I know that...

34102 Dovetail jig. I never could get it to work, but I didn't try futzing with it. When I bought it I thought it was a through jig, not a half blind... It's simply not what I wanted...

Unknown item # 9" quick release woodworking vise. I am getting less and less impressed with this one. The quick release doesn't work all that reliably, and the machining on the vise faces isn't exactly square... I should take this back, but I think they don't make them any more... Every now and again Woodcraft puts the Jet 9" quick release on sale for under $100.00, I am going to upgrade when it comes up again. I might get my BIL to see if he can square up the jaws on the HF (he has access to a machine shop).
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 02-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I would vote that this sort of thread become a sticky.

My philosophy is pretty simple:

Would you be heart-broken if it broke on you ?
    Would you be INJURED if it broke on you ?
    Would you lose valuable time/money if it broke on you ?
    Would you be hugely upset if you had to supplement missing or lousy hardware ?

Then ... don't buy it at HF.

For everything else ... I'll roll the dice, periodically

Love that 2HP DC, though

I mentioned this in another thread a while ago, but their link belt is pretty good. And it's made in the USA!!!

I've had good luck so far with:

Alumn. bar clamps
    Fostner bits (even after drilling nearly 80 1"holes in the downdraft table thru (2) 3/4" plywd sheets they still work decent enough)
    Scroll Saw for what little use it gets
    the wood handle paint brushes for the un-important jobs and if you soak it in soap and water for a bit, they work great for sauce brushes at the grill
    Floor mats
    of course the Dust Collector
    the speed square works well for framing
    the chalk line chalk does its job

Junk things

any blades, holes saws, drill bits
    cordless drill driver (batteries don't hold much charge and quickly won't charge at all)
    ratcheting quick clamps

The quick-grip-type clamps may break easily, but it's because the use a little plastic pin for the handle to pivot on. If you open them up, you can replace it with a bolt. You can also shim the clutch mechanism a little so that it holds onto the bar tighter.

I bought a dozen of them when they were on sale for $1.99. I've opened about half of them and fixed them, and now they work great.

I have a HF close to home and sometimes buy things that are a one-time-use item or something I won't use all that much. Mixed results.
    Their reciprocating saw is cheap and works well. Probably not something a pro would want. I use it to prune palm fronds and have pruned tree limbs up to 6". On a ladder it is safer than a chain saw.
    The sandpaper from India is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    I bought sandpaper and Evapo-rust at HF, and I wouldn't get the sandpaper again.

Mike
    I have had fine experience with the zirconia alumina belts, but everything else has been pretty junky. The zirconia alumina belts aren't cheap, either, so there's no reason to run to HF to get them for $5 per for a 4x36 belt (which I use to grind metal, not for woodworking). They are cheaper than that every day at supergrit.

I have a 2hp DC that works good.
    Also bought a 21 gal. 3hp 230volt compressor. After some hard use sand blasting, the head gaskets melted and plugged up the reed valves. I made new ones out of gasket material and it works great now.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I've purchased a few items from HF.

One was a digital caliper for my shop. The price was right and I won't feel bad if it fails. The original dial type I had died due to exposure to sawdust. The digital one seems immune.

I've also purchased a cheap digital volt meter that I carry in my tool belt. I don't need accuracy, just need to know if there is voltage or continuity.

I purchased several 4" and 5" C-clamps. They seem to work well, the price was right and they are great for wood working.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The quick-grip-type clamps may break easily, but it's because the use a little plastic pin for the handle to pivot on. If you open them up, you can replace it with a bolt. You can also shim the clutch mechanism a little so that it holds onto the bar tighter.

I bought a dozen of them when they were on sale for $1.99. I've opened about half of them and fixed them, and now they work great.
    I am so impressed Dan... seriously.

I was thinking of starting a new church (figuratively speaking)

GUILE the new religion.

I like your style.