Thread: Gast Vacuum Pump Sources??

Gast Vacuum Pump Sources??

I'm looking for a model series 523 (110v) gast vacuum pump. Other than Packard, Craft Supplies, and ebay, does anyone have a reliable source for one?

Thanks.

Greg,
    A year or so ago, I got a 522 series (220V) gast pump from Surplus Center, http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...r&keyword=APAV and paid something less than $75 if I recall, a deal for a pump that only needed to be wired to a cord/switch to run.
    You have to watch their site to see what's available, because they are kind of a like a 'Big Lots', and don't have the same stuff all the time, especially the popular 523 110V series pumps.
    If you'r just starting to look, be sure you get an "Oilless" type. If you see pics of the pump, it should have a warning sign "Do Not Lubricate" or something like that...just in case the seller isn't sure.
    Good luck.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks Tim. Yeah I checked there already. I'm looking for a replacement pump. I thought someone on the Creek offers them actually. Just can't remember who.

I'm using an old Gast 523 Lab pump which I acquired used. (Picture cropped out of the manual.) It's an oiled pump, which I actually consider an advantage because it should mitigate the effects of any dust that does get sucked through the filter. Granted I also do limited metal working in my workshop so oil vapor isn't an issue. When I got the pump it would only pull about 15" of vacuum. After dripping oil into the oil port for about 20 minutes, it was pulling its rated 24". I then proceeded with some general cleanup, replaced the inlet filter element and built an oil trap element from some fiberglass insulation. It's been going strong for over 5 years now. I check the oil bottle every now and then and empty the trap when I add oil. If I were concerned about the oil vapor, I'd simply attach a length of tubing to the outlet and run it outside through the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bought my 523 from Oneway Manufacturing.

oneway.ca
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

You might consider an alternative pump.

I am happy with this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017R95DI, from Amazon.

Harbor Freight also has one, http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html that should work fine

I once read a caution about used vacuum pumps. If they were used in medical labs, don't buy it. They could have been sent out as bio hazard material, and someone wipes them off and sells them on Ebay.