Thread: What's this smelly, sticky mess?

What's this smelly, sticky mess?

I just cleaned up a bunch of random scrap wood with my planer and I found some wood that kind of looks like a dense type of mahogany. It is very straight grained and a medium brown color. However, it has some very sticky sap that smells like old growth pine. It won't wash off and it seems to be oozing from the freshly milled surfaces.

Anyone got any idea what it is? I can post a picture, but I doubt it would help.

Thanks, Dan

It might help if you tell us what region you live in and where you got the wood.

There's no telling where it came from. I'm in Florida, and the guy I got it from had a grandfather that passed away that had a garage full of salvaged wood. It could have come from a pallet, as there is a lot of other pallet parts, or a shipping crate. It could have been a scrap from a cabinet shop. I'm pretty sure the man never actually bought kiln dried lumber.

I don't think that the wood is anything really useful. I just have hands that smell bad and I am kind of wondering what the heck it is.
    Thanks, Dan

a picture wood help