Thread: Best Bandsaw Buy on the Planet

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Best Bandsaw Buy on the Planet

I just learned that General Industrial Supply in Nashville has a limited number (20) of Jet 18" Bandsaws on SALE. Model JWBS-18 Brand New $850.00 + s/h. Normal list on this BS is $1399.00. GIS's normal sale price is $1100.00

See specs/etc on this machine at:
    http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com/product.asp?ID=16

Anyone interested in this great deal should call Rick Warren (GIS Owner) at 1-800-371-2220. Mention you are a SMC Member and got the information here.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-20-2005 at 2:54 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

You can buy it new from Amazon for $999-$25 including shipping. How does it compair to others in its price range?

I would be interested to find out if taxes apply if its shipped, and how much typical S&H would cost.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Ken
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Just talked to GIS and they will call me back tomorrow AM with shipping costs.
    Now I just have to talk to SWMBO about it. Wish me luck.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Jet 18'

Hi everybody, I have been reading this forum for some time, just got the courage to write something. Although my very first post was in the lumber haulers thread. A little about myself first, I have been making a comfortable living as a finish carpenter for 25 years. At the moment I am building high end mahagony bars. Let me get to the point, I own a 18'jet bandsaw and you simply cannot go wrong with this purchase. If you have the option to wire it for 220, go for it. Throw away the blade that comes with it. Buy a timberwolf. I bought the one inch carbide ($) but it pays for itself in perfect resaw cuts. Goodluck to all who are able to make this purchase. You will not be unhappy.
    I have no interests in any of the companys mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    I would be interested to find out if taxes apply if its shipped, and how much typical S&H would cost.
    Just the perspective of a Californian, but tax always applies. At least that is what I've found out in the last year. Here in the Golden State, you may not have to pay taxes to the seller from out of state, but California expects you to pony up the $$. In other words it is more of a "use tax" not "sales tax". Anyway, up until last year, I never knew about this, but then a new line item on our state income tax form shows up asking how much you'd purchased in the last year that was not taxed (catalog, internet...). (Just what I need, another ethical decision when doing my taxes. ) Then the state tax for that amount is added to your tax bill. This also shows up if you buy a car out of state and try to register it in California, part of the registration will be the "sales tax" you would have paid if bought inside the state.

Anyway, that is my understanding of how things work here in CA. I may be wrong, and it may be different in your state.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

The link you gave shows it now at only $779 if you use what they're calling S&D?? whatever that is. Otherwise its listed there for $1100.00 Anyone know what all this means?? S&D??

Jim

Scratch & Dent===S&D

Looks like thats the difference between the prices.

Anyway you go it's still a heck of a buy.
    Last edited by Gary Max; 01-20-2005 at 7:03 PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I just learned that General Industrial Supply in Nashville has a limited number (20) of Jet 18" Bandsaws on SALE. Model JWBS-18 Brand New $850.00 + s/h. Normal list on this BS is $1399.00. GIS's normal sale price is $1100.00

See specs/etc on this machine at:
    http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com/product.asp?ID=16

Anyone interested in this great deal should call Rick Warren (GIS Owner) at 1-800-371-2220. Mention you are a SMC Member and got the information here.
    I know where you can buy the Jet 20" band saw for $1100, and the 20" is worth every bit of $250 more then the 18"

I bought the Jet 18" band saw a few months ago and its a great tool. I can't believe that I waited so long to upgrade. I wish the 20" was available at these prices when I was shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    You can buy it new from Amazon for $999-$25 including shipping. How does it compair to others in its price range?
    My math tells me $850 is a $145 savings.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    Taxes would not apply if shipped outside the State of Tenn. GIS can quote shipping costs if you call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz
    The link you gave shows it now at only $779 if you use what they're calling S&D?? whatever that is. Otherwise its listed there for $1100.00 Anyone know what all this means?? S&D??

Jim
    S&D is "Scratch and Dent" GIS is very close (10 miles) to the Eastern US distribution center and GIS has an arrangement with Jet. They purchase a lot of Jet, Powermatic and Wilton equipment which has been either returned or has packaging damage. $1100.00 is GIS normal price for a new unit.

Before christmas, the Rochester Woodcraft had it on sale for $899, but the owner suggested he would give a little. Granted there is tax but you see the exact machine you are taking home and there is local service. Not sure about Internet price, but shiping is only $20 extra.