Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Benchtop Finish?

My opinion

I've always used the BLO and paste wax on top for my bench. It's renewable and doesn't make the bench top too slippery. Having said that, polymerized tung oil available from Lee Valley is a viable alternative and it does provide more of a build than the BLO. It cures in just a day or two unlike the raw tung oil which does take a long time to cure. Tung is more expensive, but doesn't darken with age like the BLO. I use the tung mostly for light colored woods which I want to keep light colored. Which way you choose to go depends on your preferences. Just remember that a buffed out coat or two of paste wax on top of your finish is a real help in preventing such things as glue, shellac, and other liquids from sticking permanently to the top. A quick rub over the affected area with a scraper or a chisel will just pop off the offending mess.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,

By paste wax are you describing car type paste wax or a wax specially design for wood?

I use car paste wax on my table saw and haven't noticed a problem with it bleeding onto the wood and spoiling a finish. Or am I misleading myself some where?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    I use car paste wax on my table saw and haven't noticed a problem with it bleeding onto the wood and spoiling a finish. Or am I misleading myself some where?
    I use Johnson's Paste Wax for this. Available at Lowes in the cleaning products section. I've also seen it at Meijer, which is a regional "Super WalMart" type place so you may be able to find it at the grocery store or hardware store.

Matt,
    I guess I'm not quite understanding. Is this a car type wax? I'm pretty sure it is but just want to clear up that question in my cobwebby mind. I'm currently using Meguiars liquid wax.

Jim

Jim, be really careful using "car wax" in your woodworking shop for anything. Many of them contain silicone which can cause all kinds of finishing problems...and it's another one of those "gifts that keep on giving", too. Very hard to erradicate once it invades your shop! I use MiniWax paste wax on my tools as well as some projects, although I also like the Mylands beeswax blend product for furniture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I ultimately decided to use BLO. Went on nice and easy. I will put a couple of coats of paste wax on it and see how it does.

Should I use more than one application of BLO?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    I ultimately decided to use BLO. Went on nice and easy. I will put a couple of coats of paste wax on it and see how it does.

Should I use more than one application of BLO?
    Jack, I usually put on one heavy coat of BLO, then wait a day or so, and apply a second coat, let it set an hour or so then kinda rub it in with a rag pad lightly wetted with BLO. after it cures a few days, I look to see if there seem to be any dry looking spots, and if there are I give it another coat like the second coat, but if not I usually apply a light coat of (Johnsons Paste wax-because it's what I can get easily here at HD, and sometimes in the supermarket in the floor products section, and some times at Wally World) then Buff it dry. I like the Bowling alley wax, but just can't seem to get it here anymore. Briwax is good, but also not available locally, and more expensive.

Normally, one or two coats will do the job, but I have had a few occassions where the wood just kept soaking it up and it took 4 or 5 coats to finally get it totally "saturated", it just depends on the wood.

(FOR JIM DUNN) This is Johnsons Paste wax for Wood, (or wood floors) "NOT CAR WAX". If you've never had the displeasure of having the Silicon Problem show up on a project, you've been lucky, but I assure you that you will definitely not forget it when it does happen.

Thanks Norm! I'll take the "hint" and count my lucky start Going to the borg to buy some today, and get that other stuff out here.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    I set up my new Sjoberg bench tonight (sorry, pic police, no px yet). Any thoughts about what finish, if any, I should use for the top? Should I finish the whole bench or just the top?
    You could always use the same finish that is on my bench :

Spilled Bud Light
    Titebond II squeeze out
    Overspray paint
    CA
    Paint Thinner
    Acetone
    Peanut Butter
    Jelly
    Mustard
    etc
    etc

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    You could always use the same finish that is on my bench :

Spilled Bud Light
    Titebond II squeeze out
    Overspray paint
    CA
    Paint Thinner
    Acetone
    Peanut Butter
    Jelly
    Mustard
    etc
    etc

Ken, I think you should get a "High Quality Picture" of that bench top. It sounds like something that should be sold to one of those "High Dollar Art Galleries". Heck, You may be Famous and don't even know it.