Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Pullshave?

Lee Valley Pullshave?

I have never seen a review here, but it looks like a handy little tool. Anyone have it?

I have a little bronze "carving spoon" I got years ago, which is sort of similar to a low-tech small version the same idea as this. I really really like it for shaping and smoothing on carved electric guitar tops (like a Les Paul sort of thing) I find I like the control of the pulling from the handle and the rocking of the curved sole. I imagine having a larger and more ergonomic version would be quite helpful for some projects.

I've been debating picking up one of these pullshaves for a while; it's on the list for next time I get to a project that warrants it. I'd also like to see others reviews, but honestly, if it's to the same quality of other LV tools, like their spokeshaves, I don't really see there being anything against the tool, and it really just boils down to whether it's sized well for the work you plan and if you like the ergonomics of this over something like a travisher. The only other caveat I'd have is I'd be curious as to how open the mouth is; the LV shaves where pretty tight for anything for other than thin smoothing work; which is fine for those, but I could see wanting to use this for something heavier. (Never mind, I just looked at the photo, it looks like the mouth is adequately open.)

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    I have never seen a review here, but it looks like a handy little tool. Anyone have it?
    Have it, yes. Used it? No. Thought it seemed like a good idea, thought I was going to make a set of chairs, and then bought the chairs.

Why not just buy or make a travisher? I think that's what I really wanted, but then again, since I'm not really interested in making chairs, I wouldn't use that, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    The only other caveat I'd have is I'd be curious as to how open the mouth is
    IIRC, looking at it, it's plenty open to pull more than smoother shavings through it.

David,

I use a traditional inshave and a shop made scraper from a saw blade for chair seats. I don't NEEEEEEEED the pull shave, but it just seemed like something that would be handy. The travishers handles can get in the way on small hollowing work.

It might fill in a hole, then. It wouldn't have any lateral restrictions, and maybe the radius is better. After watching a few people using a one-handed scorp on hardwood, I think I'd rather use this thing for smaller work since you can put some pressure right over the cutting edge.

Hey John,
    I have one and I think it's a really great tool. Essentially, it's the love-child of an inshave and a spokeshave. The important features are that it has a mouth and the wings from a spokeshave or travisher are replaced with handles places fore and aft (keeping them from interfering with shaping as you tilt the tool). Important to note that this is not a smoothing tool and the mouth is as wide as say a jackplane . While if you sharpen it it will take awesome clean cuts, you'll still have to follow up with some scraping and light sanding. The same thing essentially can be said of a well sharpened scorp or inshave. I usually use after I have hogged out material with my scorp. the pullshave's mouth give you a lot of control and the ability to refine the shape of your seat.
    Of course, I did have some slight issues with the design of the box and made simple little mods from the get go to improve it's range hollowing chair seats. I wrote a blog post about it here:
    http://materialogy.blogspot.com/2010...ng-better.html

Cheers,
    Niels
    Last edited by Niels Cosman; 02-25-2011 at 4:46 PM. Reason: terrible punctutation!
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

I have one and have used it to shape four chair seats and smooth the inside of a dough bowl. (Where are those photos?)

For me it servers a a travisher. Compared to a travisher, the pullshave does not look traditional, but it's much easier on my wrists.

To close the mouth, one can easily shim the blade.

Chuck
    AKA - "The human termite"

That was a neat blog post Niels. You should send it to Veritas and give them some feed back. Everything you noted about the performance of the shave were things I was considering while I was looking at it. Thanks.

There's one for sale right now on classifieds. But at the price its being asked for, its not really a bargain....after shipping its only about $15 cheaper and then you wouldn't have the fantastic support of Lee Valley if there are any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cormier View Post
    There's one for sale right now on classifieds. But at the price its being asked for, its not really a bargain....after shipping its only about $15 cheaper and then you wouldn't have the fantastic support of Lee Valley if there are any problems.
    Hi -

We support the used stuff too...

Cheers -

Rob

yeah, the guy that's selling it is a real shady character too. haha.

IIRC, 85% of new is usually what LV and LN tools go for when they are unused or used but with nearly no wear (or at least that's what I've paid). Thus the price. I usually sell stuff a little below the going rate, but only if I've actually used it. I just took selling a japanese plane in the shorts last week, so I'm less inclined to make dreams come true this week.

John, my wife says not just shady, but stinky, too. "All you do is stink and make a mess".

Thanks John!
    It's a great tool- made even better by it's very design that allows for simple customization. My mods are so minor that I would lump them in with honing the blade for the first time.
    One note, The long handle IS very useful and ergonomically more efficient (perhaps like a Japanese saw handle). I still have it and have used it from time to time. The smaller handle requires significantly more kung-fu gripping although for my purposes the stubby is ideal. Because it's being used with two hands the smaller rear handle naturally shifts effort to the front knob which is applying important downward forces. I also i think it enables a better push stroke, which I have used at times rather than switching my stance or reorienting the workpiece.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

I have one too and it's a nice tool. Think of it as a spokeshave with the handles repositioned so that they don't get in the way.