Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sketchup guide for Woodworkers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Steve, you should understand that in sketch up you will be drawing in 3D, that is all that sketchup does. But it allows you to view the model from a plan or elevation view without parallel projection, so it looks like 2D, and there is no requirement to make your drawings 3D by giving them volume. I use it for quick elevation sketches all the time in situations where a full 3D rendering is not needed from a shop building prospective. I will not spend 3 hours modeling something I can build with a 15 minute sketch. But it is great to have the 3D capability for more complicated assemblies.
    Peter, your answer on 2D drawing is more accurate than mine, I should have given the question more thought before replying. I imagine there could instances where drawing in 2D might pose some challenges in SU. I stand firmly behind my drawing in 3D comments though.

Jay, your thread changed my life!

After a week of evenings watching google tutorials and Rob Camerons free videos, I drew up my first built-in for a client.

It took about 5 hours, and at least half of that was learning new stuff and revisiting some of Rob's videos. This initial effort is no doubt sloppy and crude compared to what the experts can do, but it's encouraging what a modest time investment has yielded.

My fears of 3d taking too long were unfounded--once I get past the beginner level, I'm certain I will be able to produce 3 views faster than my old 2d programs.

I'm definitely going to upgrade to pro, but there is no hurry--the free version has plenty for me for now. I also plan to get the Taunton Ebook.

Thanks again guys! -Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 03-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.

I used sketchup today to layout a design for a toy/hope chest. I used the subtractive approach in that I calculated a bounding volume and chipped away anything that was not the chest. Amazing how fast I picked it up! Is there a way to turn it into an exploded diagram of major subcomponents? Sides, bottom, top, etc? Create plan views?

I really believe (based on my limited exposure thus far) that for many of us, this easy to use tool will greatly improve our designs!!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 03-14-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    I used sketchup today to layout a design for a toy/hope chest. I used the subtractive approach in that I calculated a bounding volume and chipped away anything that was not the chest. Amazing how fast I picked it up! Is there a way to turn it into an exploded diagram of major subcomponents? Sides, bottom, top, etc? Create plan views?

I really believe (based on my limited exposure thus far) that for many of us, this easy to use tool will greatly improve our designs!!

Mike
    Mike, your chipping away approach is okay for drawing to work out the basic concepts. However you really do want to model that way for producing usable models to make plans from. You have to manually draw every part and move it yourself to produce an exploded views and/or make plan views. I know that sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't once you get the hang of the program. Besides you'll catch a lot mistakes in the design when you virtually built the model piece by piece before you ever cut a single piece of wood. I'd recommend you check out Gary Katz's SU tutorial for modeling just like you're building the real thing.
    http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawi...Tutorials.html

Thanks Brice. I will do that. I did play around with individual pieces but found "joining" them impossible to do with my current knowledge level. But what you say makes sense.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Thanks Brice. I will do that. I did play around with individual pieces but found "joining" them impossible to do with my current knowledge level. But what you say makes sense.

Mike
    Then Gary's video is really going to help you.

You can copy faces from a "quick" model and turn them into components. No need to start over from scratch. There really aren't any right or wrong ways to do things, but some methods are more efficient than others. For me the whole idea of using SketchUp is to work accurately and efficiently. My number one rule is "don't draw it if you can copy it".

Bob Lang

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    Besides you'll catch a lot mistakes in the design when you virtually built the model piece by piece before you ever cut a single piece of wood.
    This is why I use the tool as a hobby WWer.

Once you build up a library of common components that you like to use (certain hinges and slides, common cabinet cases, common moulding, etc.) then putting together a design goes much faster. Note that most of these components have already been drawn and shared in the Sketchup library or elsewhere online.

Well, I spent some time this weekend redrawing my toy chest and using the Cut List pluggin. I love it! The Cut List pluggin is really useful for checking your work. It all has to jive in the end. It's also nice for figuring how much wood I need to buy. Since I will be gluing up laminates to make legs and thicker (than nominal finished 4/4), I found it useful to draw the components in layers just like I will glue them up. That makes the cut list more accurate. I will post a pic after I finish it.

Is there a way to get SU to display a list of components? What more do you get with Pro? I find that some of the FAQs at the SU forum mention tools like "join" or "glue" or "scalpel" just do not exist in my 8.0 version. Are these Pro tools?

Mike

I found the tutorials (video) on the following page very easy to follow. After watching all you'll be pretty much set to do your own (or at least that's how I found it):

http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm

Hi Mike,

There are a couple of ways to see what components are in your model. From the Window Menu select "Components" and "Outliner". I usually leave the "Components" window open. There are two little boxes with drop down arrows that let you choose what you want to display. Select "In Model" from the one with the picture of the little house. You can drag new instances of those components into your model from there, and you can also access other models stored on your computer or in the 3D Warehouse.

There isn't a lot of difference between the free and pro versions of SketchUp. The biggest is that in SketchUp 8 there are solid modeling tools in the pro version. These let you use one half of a joint (say a tenon or dovetail pins) to make the other half of the joint on another part with a couple of mouse clicks. You can also export vector files from pro into other applications like AutoCAD or Abode Illustrator. If you don't do a lot of very detailed models, or don't need to export, you can do everything you need to do for modeling in the free version. There are also two add-on programs that come with the pro version, LayOut (makes printed presentations from a SketchUp model) and Style Builder (that lets you change settings for line weights and styles). I think LayOut is pretty rudimentary but some people really like it. Compared to the costs of other CAD programs, I think SketchUp pro is extremely reasonable at $500.

It sounds like the terms you mention belong to Plug-ins for SketchUp. There are a few sites where you can find Plug-ins for just about anything that work with the free version.

hope this helps,

Bob Lang

OK, messed with that outliner and components box last night. Missed the part about "in model" and thus only saw graphics of supplied components. But the outliner did show me interesting stuff. When I use the Cut List pluggin, invariably I end up with "no name" components (or strangely named components) with zero thickness. I realize that those are objects (not components) like rectangles that did not get pushed into 3-d. They are HARD to find! Since they are not a component, the outliner does not show them.

Question: Imagine a desk leg that sides will attach to. I draw a rectangle on one side of the leg and then I want to copy that to another side, just around the corner, 90 degrees away. How do I do that? The component dialog? Or do I need to change the coordinate frame? (the copy only wants to move "in-plane"). I guess I could rotate it. Seems overly hard to do.

Question: I want to create a leg base molding. I saw the "follow-me" tutorial and can go from there. But attaching a rectangle object at 90 degs to the surface is not clear to me.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, there may be a way to copy the rectangle around the corner but I'm not aware of one. This is a case where having the object in 3D helps so you can easily rotate or pivot it around the corner.

Well, here is my toybox, blanket chest. I think the blanket chest will not have arms and back. What do you all think? I did not bother softening any edges or stuff like that (molding will have rounded edges, for example).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would get a comment or two!