Thread: My first Monster assisted HF

My first Monster assisted HF

Hi all;
    I finished my first HF using the Monster. 8" x 2.5", with a 2" hole, hollowed 2.75" in under the rim. Very nice to work with the Monster, the wall thickness is 3/16".

Hope you enjoy the HF, comments and critiques are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Peter F.

Congrats on your first completed 'monster piece'! The sharp angle at the widest portion of the form kind of draws my eye a little bit. I'd probably smooth it out, but if you're looking for a more contemporary shape, you could make it even more abrupt. I like the soft finish, and the area near the opening is nicely done. Strong work.

Congrats on your first! Like any tool - the more you use your new Monster - the easier it becomes! You did good on this one! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing your next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

4. Peter,

Ain't it great! I turned a hf myself out of cherry today, but am unsure if I want to put a pedestal on it, or just a finial. That monster system is sweeeet! Nice work here!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Peter, very nice work, and congrats on the first of many to come! Nice piece of maple, and looks like you did a good job with it. I do agree on the shoulder ridge - kind of needs to go one way or the other. Either eliminate it, or make it a feature. The only other comment I would have would be on the base. If you have enough wood, you may want to continue the curve of the bottom to a small flat area about the size of your outer ring on the bottom. I think you would like the effect it has on the way the piece sits.

Nice finish - what did you use?

Very nice HF and the wood is beautiful as well. The comments you have received are all correct with John's suggestion about the size of the bottom being the most important IMHO. A rule of thumb for the bottom of most bowls and HF's is that it needs to be around 1/3 the overall Dia. I often go smaller than this on HF's to try and make them look like they are floating. One of the pro's I've seen do a demo said that it is good practice to gradually increase the curve right at the bottom of a HF to around twice that of the curve coming down the side. This helps in making it seem to be floating. Looks like you have a nice system to work with, not sure I would have the guts to try it out on such a nice bowl blank on the first run with it. It differently worked out for you.
    Happy Turning,
    Jack

I agree with the comments. Very nice looking HF for a first of what I am sure will be many.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks all for the comments, all are appreciated as part of the learning process.
    I really did not find too much of a learning curve with the Monster. It is vey intuitive and after trying out all the cutters to see what they could do it became pretty easy.
    The piece was mounted in the expansion mode and as you know you want a reasonable ring around the hole to ensure the piece stays on the chuck. When cutting the outside I brought the outside down to the ring of the foot and left it there. The bottom therefore is the ring. I was keen to keep as much of the blank as I could so that is why I did not use a tenon. I will keep an eye on the diameter in the future and plan to use the 1/3 size for bottoms. Never really concentrated on the size in the past.... "learning"
    The feature shape on the outside was based on trying to get the largest diameter at about 2/3 up from the bottom... I cut and sanded into that point to keep it. I see your suggestions to make it more pronounced or round it over smoothly... "learning"
    John, the finish is a mix of Walnut Oil, Beeswax and Carnuba wax melted together and I have been using this on most work for a few years. Nice sheen, feels good but is not shiny.
    Thanks again for the comments.
    My next one is on the lathe now and is Cherry end grain, about 6 high x 4.5 dia, currently hollowed to 5 inches deep and getting close to 1/8" walls. It will look more like an urn/weed pot with rounded upper wider in diameter and tapering to a smaller flat bottom. (I will try for the bottom to be 1/3 the diameter of the widest upper part).
    Peter F.

Very nice first effort and the monster looks right at home on your DVR...Bill...

Nice HF and nice setup! Good luck on number 2 and I am looking forward to seeing it!

Very nice for a first or a tenth. Glad you are enjoying that great system. Keep 'em coming!

Peter, Very good job. I had a friend make me a Jamison style hollowing system. I made my own attachment for the laser light arm. I used round stock for the vertical piece. I would like to throw out one WARNING!!!!! to all turners who have a hollowing system that has a round vertical post going up that attaches the laser light arm. I speak from experience. If you bump the laser light arm with your shoulder/arm/whatever there is a chance that you could move the laser light toward the back side of the lathe. In that event when you go back in and continue hollowing you may very well go through the wall. I changed the round bar for a square one. Problem solved.

Very nice looking. I understand wanting to use every bit of the blank when you are paying for kiln dried stock! Can't wait for my own monster system to arrive.

Peter,
    Very nice 1st HF with the Monster. Isn't it nice?