Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best homemade router tablesaw extension

best homemade router tablesaw extension

I've been searching the forums and finding a ton different extensions but lots of confusion about how to build it. I know the info is there but I'm getting overwhelmed by all the data I found. So I apologize now for a newbie post.

I have a Jessem Lift plate and a Jet 10" contractor saw. I looked at the premade router table extensions and they either don't fit the jessem plate or include their own lift systems.

So what I'm looking for are plans for own I can make my own.

Thanks for any help

I made my own but can't find the pictures right now. I only found the picture of how I attached it. I sandwiched some 3/4" ply wood ribs between some mdf and covered it with some formica. Then I made a hollow box fence that I attached to my TS fence. I love it. I'll get some more pictures of it later.

The steel flat bar I bolted to the TS table is 3" wide and I think its about 30" long. then I bolted the home made TS extension/router table to that
    Attached Images Attached Images

SANY0444.jpgSANY0445.jpgSANY0443.jpg
    Here's my powermatic 66 and a sears combined. I know have a benchdog router table on the right wing of the sears saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    SANY0444.jpgSANY0445.jpgSANY0443.jpg
    Here's my powermatic 66 and a sears combined. I know have a benchdog router table on the right wing of the sears saw.

That's a neat set up. How do you implement it? Do you keep one for crosscuts or dados?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    That's a neat set up. How do you implement it? Do you keep one for crosscuts or dados?
    Bobby,
    After buying the PM66 I tried to sell the Craftsman, but found I wasn't getting any real bites. So instead of giving it away, I found it took up no more floor space than the PM's outfeed table. It became win-win after I installed the Bench Dog router table on the Craftsman, since it didn't require much of a modification. The Craftsman is used for dadoing, and I aligned all the slots so it would allow transition from one table to the next. Also the Craftsman is on retractable wheels, and is not permanently attached to the PM-66 and can be moved. However........it does create a horizontal surface, therefore gets stuff piled on it all the time.....real bad habit of mine.

Get the cast-iron Bench Dog ext. wing/router table. You can use any insert plate and lift with it and it's got lots of bells and whistles. Plus, you can use magnetic jigs with it. I loved mine when I had a contractor saw.

Jason

2-1-11 001 (800 x 600).jpgMine is still a work in progress.2-25-11 001.jpg

photo 3-1.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGIMG_1791.jpgHere's my Unisaw extension table.

It's made from 3/4 BB plywood with 3" Maple edging and 1x2 Maple support beams around the router plate cutout.

I have a large Jessem router table, so I only cut one into my Unisaw because I have a 2 1/4HP router with plate that I use with my Bosch jobsite saw. Might as well put it to use in the shop for a 2nd router table setup when not on the jobsite...

I figure I'll only use this little router setup with mostly ballbearing bits, so I built a very simple router-plate mounted fence with a vac attach.

I also made a plate for my Porter Cable handheld spindle sander, so I have that capaility in my Unisaw wing too. I have the Ridgid OSS, but have no need for the belt unit and now that the little PC unit is setup, I'll sell the Ridgid.

Next plan is to make a custom insert with an inverted Porter Cable Speedbloc pad sander giving me a flush-surface flat sanding station - should be handy for ornaments and small items. I'm working on that today.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Get the cast-iron Bench Dog ext. wing/router table. You can use any insert plate and lift with it and it's got lots of bells and whistles. Plus, you can use magnetic jigs with it. I loved mine when I had a contractor saw.

Jason
    I looked at the router plate is a different size :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Tracy View Post
    photo 3-1.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGIMG_1791.jpgHere's my Unisaw extension table.

It's made from 3/4 BB plywood with 3" Maple edging and 1x2 Maple support beams around the router plate cutout.

I have a large Jessem router table, so I only cut one into my Unisaw because I have a 2 1/4HP router with plate that I use with my Bosch jobsite saw. Might as well put it to use in the shop for a 2nd router table setup when not on the jobsite...

I figure I'll only use this little router setup with mostly ballbearing bits, so I built a very simple router-plate mounted fence with a vac attach.

I also made a plate for my Porter Cable handheld spindle sander, so I have that capaility in my Unisaw wing too. I have the Ridgid OSS, but have no need for the belt unit and now that the little PC unit is setup, I'll sell the Ridgid.

Next plan is to make a custom insert with an inverted Porter Cable Speedbloc pad sander giving me a flush-surface flat sanding station - should be handy for ornaments and small items. I'm working on that today.

JT
    that looks really nice. Can you take a picture from underneath for me?

P2260452.jpgP2260453.jpgP2260455.jpgP2260454.jpg

I used 2 slightly damaged counter tops from Menards for $1 each. I glued the pieces so that plastic laminate was on the top and bottom to balance. I added some maple around the edges that I've had laying around for years. I really like having dust collection above and below the top. I made a plywood box with one hinged door and one removable door for access. I also change fences when I want zero clearance. I use the adjustments on the Freud to push the disposable fence(s) into the bit.

When I'm sanding small parts, I pull the router plate out and replace it with pegboard. Then I have a mini dust collection table.

Kev

Mine is not as nice as some of the awesome tables posted so far but it works really good. The dust collection is from the opposite side from where the picture is taken. There is an end cap that fits over the end of the fence (now open). The bit opening can slide out so one of a different size can be placed in for different size bits. I have about 10 blank throat plates I can slide in to make zero clearance space around the bit if I want. Have only used that option once.

You can see where I cut into the table with a jig saw. Man was I mad.

The table is 40" wide and the fence is about 43" wide and 5" high.
    Attached Images Attached Images

--Pegboard for router plate-- ok, that's genius! I've never heard or seen that before. Great idea Kev!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Jt;
    That spindle sander on the router plate is pretty cool. I didn't even know there was a hand held spindle sander. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    --Pegboard for router plate-- ok, that's genius! I've never heard or seen that before. Great idea Kev!
    Dave, I hope what I wrote didn't suggest to use pegboard as the actual router plate. I have enlarged the holes of some pegboard and use it as an insert when I'm sanding small pieces with dust collection from below. I often use double sided carpet tape to hold the piece and the pegboard is like a mini down-draft table top. (Anyone, please don't use pegboard as a router table insert - too flexible and dangerous.)
    Kev
    Last edited by Kev Godwin; 02-27-2011 at 3:08 PM. Reason: spelling