Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a coffee fanatic

Are you a coffee fanatic

How do you make your coffee? What equipment do you use ? What coffee do you prefer? I use a Black and Decker burr grinder that is okay, i have some issues with its durability and also with it jamming and needing cleaning. I have a Bodum 12 cup French press that does the trick and a plastic but glass lined thermal carafe that i am thinking of replacing. the pour mechanism is broken and I don't like its capacity or its look it was the only one that was in the store i was in at the time. Looking for discussion and recommendations. I am currently grinding Starbucks Italian from Costco.

We use a Keurig and Green Mountain Coffee for on the go. My daughter is a p/t barista at a local coffee shop where they roast their own beans. She has told me that there are different methods for grinding coffee based on how it is to be brewed. She brings home 1/2 lb of coffee ground for a Bodum French Press. You cannot go wrong for the ultimate cup with a French Press. She has indicated to us that you need to let the coffee sit in the French Press for a minimum of 4 minutes to get the best the french press has to offer.

Cheers
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

I drink coffee from 5 minutes after I get out of bed until 5 minutes before I go to bed.

I have often said with the love a good woman and good cup of coffee, life is good!

My preference for coffee is pretty mundane....I drink a weak cup of Folgers and use a Bunn coffee maker.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I drink coffee from 5 minutes after I get out of bed until 5 minutes before I go to bed.

I have often said with the love a good woman and good cup of coffee, life is good!

My preference for coffee is pretty mundane....I drink a weak cup of Folgers and use a Bunn coffee maker.
    Sounds like you got stuck on dog watch coffee lol. Good stuff, you betcha I have a cup somewhere near all the time.

I'm not a fanatic, but I sure like a tasty cup of coffee. I don't have it everyday, but when I do, I like it strong/rich/full-bodied (whatever they're calling it these days). So thick you can walk across it. And you have to eat the last quarter inch. Well, almost. Tons of flavor.

Yummy!!

It's like the morning version of wine.....

Blog Entries
    I have been drinking Peet's Coffee's Major Dickason's blend almost exclusively for about 20 years.

I like a strong cup.

I was kind of like Ken in always having a coffee cup close at hand. Then when I was working my rule came down to no coffee after about 4 pm. Now in retirement, I try to keep it down to only a little more than half a large pot a day.

Kind of like a car I used to own. Use a quart a day even if I don't go anywhere.

I was thinking of copying in the text from the description of Major Dickason's blend, but thought it might have copyright issues. Here is the page with the descriptions of Peet's coffees:

http://www.peetscoffee.com/explore/i...-topnav-_-text

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-26-2011 at 1:39 PM. Reason: add link
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a burr grinder and a midrange $400+ espresso machine. The coffee is shade grown organic fair traded (that way the workers get a fair break for their work). Sometimes I go to an independent espresso shop that uses a very old copper machine where the barrista actually pulls the shots by hand. Incidently, I don't put any adulterants in my coffee. Straight espresso only.

Twenty years in the Navy gave me an addiction to coffee.
    Like Ken I don't need fancy designer coffee's. I buy either folgers, or maxwellhouse, which ever is on sale. There's usually a cup close at hand in the shop.
    Nothing better than watching a beautiful Florida sunrise with a good cup of coffee!!
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Pretty much like Ken... Folgers or Maxwell house through a Bunn coffee machine. We do have a grinder and we sometimes grind some other types. I can easily finish off a pot in no time, however, I try not to do that anymore. During the work week, I can bring in a cup coffee, set it down at 8 am and find it back at 4 and continue drinking it. Yes its cold.

My staff cringes as they see me drinking day old coffee.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I also grind, my pot is old don't know name but love DUNKIN, right now mixing dunkin wholebean regular with there esspreso whole bean..

I did my time in the Navy and drank coffee there. Now a days I only drink coffee at work, if I take two weeks vacation that's two weeks without coffee but at work I'll drink a pot by myself on the nightshift. Like Ken and the others, I'm not fussy, just don't like it burnt.

Definitely a coffee fanatic. I prefer espresso over all other methods of brewing. I had a $200 Gaggia, but it needs servicing. The pump is not working like it should, but it is a great machine when it is working. My second favorite espresso maker are the little stove top ones. Those are really nice, and not particularly expensive.

Peet's makes good coffee, and if you can get the type you want locally, it is a decent price. I couldn't, and ordering it on-line can start to get pricey. I am currently drinking the Italian roast from World Market/Cost Plus and really enjoy it.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

i used to be a coffee fanatic, but have recently switched to being an espresso fanatic. I just love it...so much fund finding fresh beans, and dialing in the perfect grind...nothing beats it in my opinion. I started talking to my daughter last year about espresso machines and how i was doing research and thought i was really going to buy one, but that i was finding the idea pretty overwhelming. Well Christmas morning, and she wakes me up with a large box and a smile. Yes my daughter bought me an espresso machine. It was the best present ever and i think about her every morning when i am using it. :-)

Fresh roasted (un-artificially flavored) beans are a must for great coffee (look for roasted date stamp). Living in CA you should have a number of local places to choose from. Very few coffee machines get hot enough to extract the best coffee. There are a few out there though. Other methods are time/labor intensive such as vac-pot, French press, aeropress etc....but they produce great results. My favorite method for the past few years has been the aeropress. A great resource for anything coffee is coffeegeek dot com and for coffee related items is sweet marias dot com. If you really get the itch... the next step is roasting your own beans...

I use a Kitchen Aid Burr Grinder, and a Krups Mocha Brewmaster.
    Beans are usually a Yemen Italian, or an Italian Sumatra. Every now an then an Ethiopian Yrgacheffe is nice.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)