Thread: Benchtop Band Saw???

Benchtop Band Saw???

I need a benchtop band saw and have not had any luck finding one at the local Big Box stores nearby. Anyone have a good recommendation? I have also tried C.L. with no luck. I am currently setting up a mini-shop in San Diego so have no room for a floor model. All recommendations appreciated. Phil
    Philip

Lowes sells a Skil branded 9" benchtop for about $120. I have one that i bought Jan '10, its ok for what it is and it's price. I've since purchased a 14" floor model and rarely use the 9" anymore.

Sears has a 1/3hp 10" benchtop model with bearing blade guides rather than blocks for $199 that looks promising.

I got the Ryobi 9" benchtop BS at HD for $110 or so. It's not bad - it has roller guides, a sight window to check blade tracking, a tracking adjustment knob, and a tension release lever. it has some vibration - I need to spend some time on the wheels to make sure they're not too out of balance. I've used it for some hobby/craft stuff and it works well. I would not want to have to cut anything larger thatn 1" hardwood on it though.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Blog Entries
    HF has a 9" bandsaw by Central Machinery but i dont know how good it is? but i do know that CM tools are pretty good as i have
    some that my father passed down to me and they are still running strong.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...saw-96980.html

its on sale right now for $129 plus a 20% coupon would help a lot!

I have a Rikon 10" that is really nice. I've used other benchtops and this one I really like. Bearing guides and built very well. Cuts straight. Looks like the Sears model. Ryobi could have made it for them.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    +1 on the Rikon 10". I have one as a secondary BS. It's a good little machine. Sears sells one that is almost identical and gets good comments.

Here’s a mini review that I did on it: Rikon 10” 10-300 BS Mini Review

FWIW, I would strongly suggest that you avoid any of the 3 wheel bench top bandsaws.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've got an older Delta benchtop, used mainly to rough cut things. I do have an older Craftsman threewheeler (12") that I use for all my "scroll" cutting. I don't need one for resawing, at the moment. The three wheeler has worked without too much trouble over the years. A new tire was about it.

I don't know about your Craigs List but the three states I routinely look at are covered with the venerable Sears 12". These are actually a decent saw and often go very cheap.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If I were in the market I would get the Rikon or the Craftsman.
    609_28441_P.jpg00981490000.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    If I were in the market I would get the Rikon or the Craftsman.
    609_28441_P.jpg00981490000.jpg

+1 one the new side
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I have the Craftsman, got it on sale about 3 years ago for $99, I'm very happy with it.
    Dennis

Thank you all for the good comments and I will now proceed with some good ammo to see what I can find at Sears, etc. Phil
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have the Craftsman, got it on sale about 3 years ago for $99, I'm very happy with it.
    Dennis
    Me too. Works great. Too bad it's not on sale for $99.