Thread: Excalibur EXBC Overarm Blade Cover: Deal?

Excalibur EXBC Overarm Blade Cover: Deal?

I have been considering this addition to my shop for safety and dust collection. Amazon has this item on sale for $299.99. That comes with free shipping. Is this a good deal? Thanks

Doug

Doug,

I actually purchased one about 2 weeks ago for the full price. I saw your note, called Amazon and they credited my account. You should get another $25 off for the order being more then $199 and also free shipping. In my mind that makes for a good deal and I am pleased with the product.

I have the exaktor overarm blade cover. I don't know if 299 is a good deal, but after hooking up my cyclone to both the dust collection port on my tablesaw (DeWalt) and the overarm blade cover, cutting mdf doesn't produce the CLOUD of mdf that used to happen. Would seem to be worth every penny.

Ed

Do you use a Gripper?

If so, how do you integrate your use of the Gripper with the Excalibur?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Robinson
    If so, how do you integrate your use of the Gripper with the Excalibur?
    You don't. You cannot use the Gripper unless the fence is "so far" from the overarm guard...any overarm guard.

As to the Excalibur, it's an excellent accessory and I enjoy mine. (Review on my site) But I only use it for through cuts when I don't have a conflict with a necessary push block or sled. It's a trade-off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Doug -

Seems like a fair price. I have a Brett Overarm guard and use it whenever possible - wider rips and cross cuts with out the crosscut sled. The rips mus be wide enough for the Grrrippers to have clearance (as Jim pointed out). I use the Grrrippers for thinner rips where it would even be hard to get a regular push stick past the Brett Guard cover.

Most anything to keep your fingers away from the blade is an improvement in my book.

Ted

Help

I want to buy this blade guard but the price I see is 379.95 when I do a search. Am I looking in the wrong place. thanks

This is also a very easy item to make yourself. Several plans are available on the web for free and it can be done in a single day. I built mine a few months ago and after having it was very glad I didnt spend alot of money on it. For me personally the thing is a major pain in the butt. Its always in the way. The dust collection is fantastic however and I do use it whenever possible to add to the safety inthe shop. Simple things like using pushsticks and many other jigs becomes actually more dangerous in some situations where there isnt enough room to use them with the guard in place. Overall its a nice addition to the shop but not for $299. Just my two cents though!

Doug

If price is an issue check out Penn State Industries overarm dust guard at www.pennstateind.com for 174.95 plus ship. I have had one for about a year and it works for me, especially for MDF.

Ron
    Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!
    He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless gone.

Price is the issue

This is the guard I have deceided I want. Just waiting for the right price. I think of myself as frugal but not stingy. $299 is a great price for this guard. Just couldn't find it at that price on Amazon.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find that price on Amazon either.

chris

It was one of Amazon's Friday special deals that was only good for last Friday.