Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Features in a jigsaw

Features in a jigsaw

Time to buy a jigsaw. I don't need to spend a lot of money on one since it will be for rough construction-site work mostly, but only for what a jigsaw is for. I guess the most amps for the price? What else, the base plate etc?

Thanks

I guess the first thing to say is "You get what you pay for"

I am one that likes to buy good tools and keep them for a long time. I had a Craftsman I bought in 1970 that I replaced about 2 years ago because I wanted more blade control. The brushes were replace a few times and now my son has it and is using it.

After looking around and reading a bunch I got the Bosch 1590VSL and really like it.

+1 on the Bosch - I also have one and love it. Works much better than the old B&D that I had for years.

I just picked up a used Festool PS-300EQ...FANTASTIC! Best dust collection hands down, best sight line for cuts, best blade control...can't say more good things.
    Building a New Shop...

I have the Bosch 1591 EVSL which is the barrel model and I have to say I love it. It is very rugged and will stand up to daily use no problem.

Blog Entries
    Another 1591 fan here but, these high quality tools have little to do with what Rick is asking about. He clearly states he is using it for rough job-site tasks. Endurance will outweigh precision in this arena. Any of you construction folks have a jigsaw that just won't die? I think that will be more on target for the OP.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Skip the Festool - the Bosch is a better unit. We're talking 1590/91 series here. Don't bother with the older 1587 saws, even if they seem a deal at $99 or whatever. The new ones are made in China and lower amp ratings than the previously badged 1587 saws, and the 1590 saws have much better features.

The bosch has the same type of lower blade guides as the Festool, that help to keep the cut at 90 degrees in a curve, but the Bosch's guides are auto-adjusting. The Festool guides have to be individually adjusted if you change blade thickness, which is a pretty common occurrence with jigsaw use. I had two Trions and sold them after using the Bosch.

As for dust collection, once you put the dust shroud on the Festool, you loose all sight line ability, so the advantage is negated.

If you can wait, and you really use the heck out of a jigsaw, the new Carvex Festool saws look like they've really re-engineered the whole range of what you can do with a jigsaw and might just be worth the ridiculous $300-350 they'll probably run new.

JT

You are going to get Bosch 1590/1 and Festool replies until you post a top dollar amount you are willing to pay...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My brother in law and I did home improvements for a number of years and used the Bosch saw with no issues - it is not only a great saw, but a work horse !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another 1591 fan here but, these high quality tools have little to do with what Rick is asking about. He clearly states he is using it for rough job-site tasks. Endurance will outweigh precision in this arena. Any of you construction folks have a jigsaw that just won't die? I think that will be more on target for the OP.
    Glenn, I think the 1591 qualifies as an endurance jigsaw also.. like most upper end Bosch tools.. I've always managed to abuse mine.... e.g. I dropped it off the roof while cutting holes for stove pipes and it didn't phase it at all. When making tough cuts that break blades, I really like the ability to pull the lever, eject the hot blade, stick another one in the saw and continue on. Switching modes to fast cut with more forward action can really get you through some complicated plywood cuts.. All that and it's comfortable, fast and accurate enough I've been known to use it to cut odd studs rather than run for my big skilsaw. So +1 for a 1590... someday I've considered buying a 1590 also.. sometimes that barrel grip would be nice.

I have a bosch top handle and a hitachi barrel grip
    both great

the only advantage is the hitachi will take regular blades and baynet
    so when out in the boonies the hardware store might not have baynet blades (been there)

I like the barrel grip better next bosch will be a barrel grip, if it ever breaks from falling of the roof!
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    Glenn, I think the 1591 qualifies as an endurance jigsaw also.. like most upper end Bosch tools.. I've always managed to abuse mine.... e.g. I dropped it off the roof while cutting holes for stove pipes and it didn't phase it at all. When making tough cuts that break blades, I really like the ability to pull the lever, eject the hot blade, stick another one in the saw and continue on. Switching modes to fast cut with more forward action can really get you through some complicated plywood cuts.. All that and it's comfortable, fast and accurate enough I've been known to use it to cut odd studs rather than run for my big skilsaw. So +1 for a 1590... someday I've considered buying a 1590 also.. sometimes that barrel grip would be nice.
    This is all good to hear. The 1590 vs. 1591 is largely about what feels good in your hands but, I have loved the 1591 since the first cut. I agree it is a solid workhorse but, got the impression Rick was after something more in the > $100 price range. I wasn't trying to steer him away from anything. If he's in the price bracket, I would not hesitate to grab one of the versions of this wonderful saw.

You are dead-on about blade changes and blade control for that matter. I sprang for the little vac tube and clear air-dam. This is handy when doing precision work but loses its usefulness if you are in full orbital, full speed ahead mode. I'm glad to have it and it was inexpensive. I've used saws costing less and costing way more. As the saying goes . . . you'll have to pry my 1590 from my cold, dead hands
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-27-2011 at 6:00 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For anyone that ever cuts sink holes in countertops, what models have a small footprint? I have a Milwaukee and like it for general jigsaw type work, but would like to find something that can get me closer to the back of a backsplash.

Quote Originally Posted by David Prince View Post
    For anyone that ever cuts sink holes in countertops, what models have a small footprint? I have a Milwaukee and like it for general jigsaw type work, but would like to find something that can get me closer to the back of a backsplash.
    I did laminate countertops for a year and half when I first got into this stuff. We used Bosch jigsaws and when you couldn't make the corner at the backsplash we would just cut it from the underside. Down cut blades help with chipping too, until you cut from the underside obviously.

Another vote for Bosch units.

I own four of the made in USA Bosch 1587's. Love them, and if they ever quit, will most likely go with the 1591. I use mine both in the shop and on the job site. I own a home repair business. You most likely can pick up used 1587's in pawn shops for about $60.