Thread: Uni on CL

Uni on CL

I hope I didn't miss out! Found this descripion on CL. "ROCKWELL UNISAW 10" cabinet saw with 60" fence side and outfeed table cast table top older well made saw. - $750.00"
    No pics but I sent out an e-mail asking hp, voltage, phase, year, and model numbers. I know it's hard to say without that info but is this a good deal? If it's a good useable saw I think it's sure worth a look since my little contractor saw is on it's last legs and I just plain 'ol want a cabinet saw anyway. If it's gone I'm ordering the polar bear griz soon for $800 shipped.

Its all depends on what a person is willing to pay,most sellers will start out alittle high then work there way down.As the late father inlaw use to say referring to selling"You can always go down but you can't go up" If its the 3hp and single phase and has the dust doors then maybe the asking price,but to me about around 650 or less.But if you do get it,then it will be the last saw you will ever need and will last a life time.But,Shane you know the rules-----It did not happen without pics.Good Luck---Carroll

Caroll gives sound advice. The Rockwell Unisaw ('60s-'70s) may be worth every dime IF it is a solid saw--not a beater! Many Uni's suffer from "modifications" that leave them less than desireable. Others have survived their years gracefully, and don't take much to become a solid addition to the shop. Photos of the saw will tell you a lot. Seeing the saw first-hand will tell you the rest, especially if it can be plugged in and run. (hopefully it is 3hp, single-phase) The original LVC magnetic starter would definitely be a plus.

Personally, I would make deductions from the asking price if the dust door is missing or if the cabinet has been all cut up. Hopefully the fence is a Biesemeyer-type or Unifence. Otherwise, deduct for a Jetlock fence.

IMO, there is no comparison between an $800 "generic" Grizzly and the bit of Americana that an original Unisaw represents. But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and many had rather have "shiny new" with a warranty, than deal with restoring an "old" cabinet saw. It's all up to you.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I agree Chip. I don't mind paying a Delta/Rockwell price for the right saw. I live in a very small town and time, or lack there of, prevents me from driving more than a few hours for a tool buying trip. I know the 0715p will be a saw I'm pleased with after a bit of set up but it's just not a Delta. I also found a 5hp, acording to seller, made in 1993. He is sending me the numbers later tonight. If that saw checks out it will be by far the best bang for the buck at $500! He said he bought it new when he built his house and hasn't used it much since. The uni is coming out of a cabinet shop so may need a bearing or two. Even if I decide to go with the Uni, I'll probally bring that Griz home for a resale if it is truly a 5hp saw. At that price I don't think I'll get stuck with it but even if I do how bad would it be to have a good dedicated dado saw!
    Either way, I'll have a new to me saw by the weekend.

To give you an ideal what they can look like restored,and I might add,worth every penny---Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic work on that saw Carroll. I still want the Delta but haven't had a reply to the e-mail. GOOD saws are rare in my neck of the woods but I'm still looking. Going to see the Griz this weekend. What model was avalible in 93 with a 5hp? Would that have been standard?