Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LN or Stanley #5?

LN or Stanley #5?

I realize this is asking for trouble, but I've gotten really good at that so why fight it?

At the LN Hand Tool Event over the weekend I came to the conclusion that the planes I have (inherited Craftsman smoother and wooden jointer) just aren't good enough. The mouth on the wooden 1 is too big and the frog on the Craftsman doesn't work properly with the Hock chipbreaker I have. The smallest shavings I'm able to get are about 1/8" and very inconsistent. Fortunately, LOML appreciates quality tools for performing quality work (she has a sewing machine that cost $1800). A jack plane is at the top of my shopping list, but I'm not sure if I should go all out and get the LN, or save some cash and get an old Stanley.

I've seen some Bedrock #5 planes around for about 1/2 the price of a LN. Assuming decent condition will I notice a big difference, or even on a Bailey?

Thanks.

I have had both with good luck. The LN is a better hand plane in my opinion... Enough so that I gave away some excellent users to a friend in need and purchased LN. I broke down and purchased one of the new and improved Stanley shoulder planes when I had a specific need recently.... I still regret the decision. The work that I needed to perform just to make it work (it had broken things and Stanley did not respond to my requests) really annoyed me. People here told me how to fix it (I had to cut a new slot on top of a screw head, for example). Even now, it just does not adjust as well as I like...

On the other hand, you can get nice results with an old stanley. I have done it. But, the adjustment did not work as well and the iron was not as thick so it did not work as well, etc..... Only you can say how much your time is worth and if you can afford the premium price tag.

If you are just going to use it as a jack plane, buy any #5 that's solid and tight and put a replacement iron in it. I've used (heavily) both a pre-1900 bailey and a more recent bedrock and like them both.

I don't exactly avoid LN planes, but I think in cases where there are good options for a lot cheaper and the work isn't fine work, there's not a great reason to buy them.

I would definitely buy the LN or LV shoulder planes (and I did, one of each) instead of any 3rd world makes. An LN jointer is nice to have if you don't have one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If you are just going to use it as a jack plane, buy any #5 that's solid and tight and put a replacement iron in it. I've used (heavily) both a pre-1900 bailey and a more recent bedrock and like them both.

I don't exactly avoid LN planes, but I think in cases where there are good options for a lot cheaper and the work isn't fine work, there's not a great reason to buy them.
    I agree with David.
    Lie Nielsen make outstanding planes but for a jack plane, almost anything will work once you have tuned it.
    My most often used jack plane is an old wooden Mathieson whose blade is set with a wedge. The only time I reach for my metal number 5 - an old Union - is when the timber's surface is so rough that it might damage the sole of my Mathieson.
    We use our jack planes for quick stock removal not for finishing.
    If you would like a LN, then invest in a smoother where the advantages of the LN manufacturing and design will produce fine shavings in finishing. These are not necessary in a jack plane.
    Cheers
    MC

Logic

None of this makes sense. Why will any plane do if you're after a number 5 rather than a 1,2,3,4,6,7,8? The fundamentals of these Stanley Bedrock based bench planes are all the same except for scale! If you want a top notch #5 then I suggest that you look to the maker of top notch #3,4,8 etc.

Let's apply a bit of common sense to this thread. The LN will out perform an old Stanley hands down; it was designed to do just that. Do you need this high performance LN #5 as opposed to an old Stanley? That is up to you!

Is the number 5 exceptional compared to its bench plane siblings? Not a chance. It is merely the plane between 4 and 6.

For the price of a LN you could have a terrific Stanley jack plane and a jointer.

I have a LN 4 1/2 which I enjoy using but I just as often go to the old Stanleys I've acquired over time. I have a 5 1/2, type 11, that I use more than anything (I have a 605 1/2 Bedrock as well but, aside from the frog adjuster, I don't think it's remarkably better). Get an old #5 from one of the good guys (Patrick Leach, Brass City, - or a fellow Creeker) and it won't need much more than a sharpened blade to have it working like a champ. You'll definitely be able to improve on the 1/8" shavings you're getting!

Depending on the work you do an old Stanley#5 jack, with a couple of different blades, along with a #7 jointer can take you a long way and perform within a very thin shavings width of its modern incarnations. They won't have that "new car look", if that's what you'd prefer, but they will come with a lot of experience.

LN products are excellent. A 5 is not typically used for operations that require extreme excellence. Smoothing and jointing, however, are where the LN quality really shine for you. Buy a LN 3, 4, or 4 1/2 smoother or a 7. For jack work, a nice old Stanley will do quite nicely. I love my ol' 5:

Hey Sean,

Love the green you used for the body of your #5. I have often thought of doing the same to some of my vintage planes. An excellent look!

Take a look at what you want your #5 to do. If you want a tool for hogging off material and coarser work, I would go with the Stanley with an aftermarket blade and chipbreaker (Hock or Veritas). If you want a tool you can dial in for really fine work and occasional coarser work, go with the Lie-Nielsen.

Blog Entries
    I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. For coarser work there is no reason not to go with a vintage plane, I have a toolbox full of them and have no complaints.

Now I will say this. If you want a LN and have the cash... Get the LN and never look back.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. For coarser work there is no reason not to go with a vintage plane, I have a toolbox full of them and have no complaints.

Now I will say this. If you want a LN and have the cash... Get the LN and never look back.
    I agree with Andrew. If you have the money and want the LN, then buy it. It will work well, though not necessarily better for coarser work than a vintage plane. I prefer wooden planes and wouldn't give up my $10 Mathieson jack for any modern plane.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I went to the woodworking show in Baltimore a few months ago and listened to a good talk by Graham Blackburn. His theory was any old plane could be put into service if it was not physically broken. It could be tuned and used. He went on to explain that the newer planes are machined quite nicely but their main benefit was the ability to quickly set them up and change them. whereas an old #5 takes a little time to make adjustments. He said as a cabinet maker it was imperative for him to save the time and his Lie-Nielsen planes pay for themselves. If a hobbyist had no deadline and wanted to take the time an old Stanley would be fine. Either way a good sharp blade is needed. I thought this made some good sense, then I walked around the corner from his talk to the Veritas display and oogeled them for about an hour. Now I am totally confused again ....John

Blog Entries
    Count me among those that appreciate the LN and LV bench planes I have, but a #5 is not one of them. It's a Grizzly (Record Copy) that was tuned and has a Hock iron. I use it for shavings I'll never plan on seeing through (even though it will nearly do it, belive it or not) and it serves me perfectly well. I pick up the LN and Veritas as smoothers, jointer and specialty.

A good Stanley Bailey #5 will do all you need to do. If you want "better" get a Bedrock 605. For either, put a modern blade in it and you'll have a great plane.

You can do excellent work with any good Stanley Bailey plane (#3, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 6 or 7) if you take a bit of time to set it up and get a modern blade for it. For Stanley Bailey's, I like the type 11 but many are just as good. Type 13's are excellent, also. For Bedrock planes, any flat sided Bedrock will do an excellent job unless the plane is really bad (rusted, frankenplane, etc.).

Mike

One of my favorite planes is a Stanley 5 1/4.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think the question is whether you want the jack as an all purpose plane -- also to be used as a smoother -- or as a rough "hogging" plane. From your post I think you are looking for an "all purpose" good plane. If it's to be all purpose -- as your one "good plane" then the LN 5 or even a LN 5 1/2 are excellent choices. I will avoid the BU, BD arguments but I also think the LN #62 (with two irons) is a fine first "good plane". As you progress you'll probably want more planes -- but I think getting one to really sing is very important. If you haven't got sharpening equipment and skills budget that in. At minimum 1K and 8K Norton waterstones and a honing guide and something to flatten the stones (BTW LN sells those too.) Whether a vintage Bedrock is the equal of a LN is not really your issue. The biggest difference is that the LN will work out of the box (with a little honing). You may or may not have a lot of work to do on a vintage plane. I have both vintage and new and love both.