Hi all

I'm starting on a pair of French doors. They will be around 1 3/8 thickness, VG Fir. The stiles will be laminated and veneered, like the other doors I've looked at.

I have a pair of interior door cope and stick shaper cutters with the full profile. These leave about a 1/4" slot for panels. My question is how best to insert the glass panels. I can't find much good info on the web about French doors. The only solid suggestion I've seen was MCLS's, which said to build the entire door, mullions and all, then use a rabbeting bit to remove one side of the profile around where the glass will be. Then you make up more trim secure the glass panels.

I've also seen French doors which look like they were assembled with the glass being integral to the door. That's to say that the glass panels fit like they were wood panels, and aren't removable.

I'm OK doing it either way, but would love some advice about 1) any other options or 2)which aforementioned method would be better.

I'm already learning a bunch about door construction, door tooling, etc. Totally different arena of woodworking. Good fun!