Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sliding table saw, to straight line rip boards, what spec do I look at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kv7d8BXh4. This jig costs approximately $39,940 LESS than a Martin, and will work nearly 99% as well for straight line ripping boards. I would not buy a slider to straight line primarily personally, I agree with Van that if you are finding your self doing a LOT of straight line ripping then a dedicated machine may be in order. But that usually means 3 phase at 10HP or better, a LOT of CFM's for dust collection, especially if you have a machine with hoggers on one side, and up to 40 LF of dedicated shop space to operate. This isn't really feasible for the small shop. You could also build a good straight line jig for the TS or a large BS by splicing together some MDF to make the length you need, putting a 3/4" dado in the bottom to orient a long miter bar, and using this in the miter slot of either the TS or BS. A few toggle clamps keep things held down, you could probably get 12' that way without any trouble, I've done 8'. I've also built a 16' straight line jig for a skill saw to rip the leading edge of a porch floor in one shot, so that is also an option

Ripping to width with a straight edge already established is much different from establishing a straight edge or what most refer to as straight line ripping (SLR). A slider is great for both but is designed for SLRing and panel work.

Most sliders don't take up more room since they are usually a combo of sorts and/or you can buy shorter sliders if your needs don't require you to cut sheet goods across its length. If you are comparing cabinet saw to slider and looking in the Hammer line from Felder then I would argue the value is tough to beat. Go price a high end cabinet saw (Delta, Powermatic, etc.) and add a marginal sliding jig and the price difference is minimal. Do a CL search and you will find some great deals out there occasionally on sliders/combos. There are 2 Felder K500s on CL right now that seem like good deals (no affiliation).

Please evaluate your own needs and contact some of the manufacturers like Felder to get pricing. Plenty of posts with opinions on this site and others but only you can determine your needs. If you want a slider then get one and enjoy the learning experience. Since you mentioned you don't have a lot of experience/knowleged of saws then you are probably better off because you don't have the trained mind that a cabinet saw is it. A cabinet saw has its place but not in my shop anymore.

Ripping is dealt with (on a slider) by using a Rip Shoe. The shoe is a simple capture device. You trap the far of the board in the show, which is on back send of the slider. Instead of pushing the sliding table (at the front end. called the operator position), you push on the timber the front end and the table guides it through the cut. If the timber is warped, your cut nevertheless is straight and true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I think that would meet all your needs Dirk, just hope you have an extra 40 grand or so to get her home.
    I doubt it unless you are going for the T74. The T60 series is a lot less than that unless there has been a major price increase of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    +1 to what Chip said.
    The op's original question was about capacity. The terminology differs with each manufacturer. In general you would look for something like:

a)capacity in front of blade. (a measure of the fully retracted slider to the edge of the blade)
    b)stroke capacity. (a measure of the sweep of the sliding table. however, if your board won't fit between the blade edge and the fence, part of that sweep is useless. In practical terms, a 10foot slider will not permit ripping a 10 foot timber)
    Gary is correct that length of cut varies by manufacturer. Some units give the full table length (less any space required for the edging shoe or clamps) while others give less. On the Martin T60, with the table pulled completely forward, the table clears the scoring blade. Pushed all the way forward, the table passes the center of the main saw arbor by about 1-1/2". If I just use clamps and the piece is narrow enough so that I can clamp using the t-slot in the table, I can get a SLR length of 3.3m (full length of table). If I use the edging shoe and allow room for a clamp on the other end, it would be about a foot less.

My MiniMax slider is 8'6" and that extra few inches means a full 8' rip can be done easily. You'll need to confirm with the manufacturer of the machines you're considering what their actual capacity is because sometimes that's not evident or accurate from just a simple description. They should be able to tell you what you can get with full wagon travel combined with the blade size for the machine(s) in question.

That said, how often does a project require a full 8' rip outside of sheet goods? I can only think of one project that I've ever done that required a piece of solid stock longer than that--the mantle I made for our large, walk-in fireplace in the great room--and I just did a conventional rip with the fence to accomodate that need. The majority of straight line ripping I do is pieces that are less than 6' and often just 3-5' long.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    This is what you need........

http://www.martin-usa.com/cms/_main/sawing.html

It has you written all over it.......

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Any idea what those babies cost? Like the T60 basic?

Looked at this saw yesterday. I don't know if 6,000 is a good price. Looks as if it has about a 10 foot capacity.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=DSC06495.jpg

Dirk,
    Three years ago the T60 Basic was somewhere around $13K. To get current pricing speak with Carl at Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe View Post
    Dirk,
    Three years ago the T60 Basic was somewhere around $13K. To get current pricing speak with Carl at Martin.
    Sorry Steve, I was obviously just shooting from the hip on my 40k guess. 13k for a Martin doesnt seem so bad.

To the OP, I have a 9' slider on my Felder and it will only rip 8', I rarely need to straight line an 8' board......but it's really nice for 8' sheetgoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Sorry Steve, I was obviously just shooting from the hip on my 40k guess. 13k for a Martin doesnt seem so bad.

To the OP, I have a 9' slider on my Felder and it will only rip 8', I rarely need to straight line an 8' board......but it's really nice for 8' sheetgoods.
    That is what I thought when I went shopping at the AWFS in 2007. The Martin was very competitive pricewise with other machines in that class and offered a lot more features than most - like the touch screen computer. Your original thought of price is more in line with the T74 than the T60. The T60 Basic is their entry level machine and I ended up with a T60 Classic which has the longer slider, scoring, rip fence handwheel adjustment, and several other enhancements. Still under about $19K at the time but had a lot more features than other similar priced machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe View Post
    That is what I thought when I went shopping at the AWFS in 2007. The Martin was very competitive pricewise with other machines in that class and offered a lot more features than most - like the touch screen computer. Your original thought of price is more in line with the T74 than the T60. The T60 Basic is their entry level machine and I ended up with a T60 Classic which has the longer slider, scoring, rip fence handwheel adjustment, and several other enhancements. Still under about $19K at the time but had a lot more features than other similar priced machines.
    And don't forget the nicer color! My SCM stuff is ugly compared to a Martin.

Actually, I would probably have Martin if the salesman at the Grand Rapids show had not ticked me off. I didn't get all dressed up, but I don't look like a bum either. He dropped me mid sentence when some Amish fellows walked up to the booth. I walked over to the SCMI booth and bought a slider and a planer. Shame, I really do like that color better....

If you have the space and power to run a 10 or 15 HP motor, a true SLR saw will be the best machine to straight line long lumber and rip to width. They are purpose built for this and are fast and efficient, usually with a laser line guide to show where the cut will be. Used, the far east imports go for $5,000 or so. If you need to make precision panel parts and general table saw work as well, then a big slider will do it all.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    i hope you mean bandsaw.

i have the eureka zone track system and it works well for slr and breaking down sheet goods. with a track saw and bandsaw my table saw is seeing little to no action. however with a slider that could do 10' rips my track saw would probably not see much action.
    Holy cow batman not even my spellchucker could bail me out on that line. I am still laughing after reading what I wrote. Yes a bandsaw is better than a badsaw anyday. I recommend that you all get rid of your badsaws ASAP. They are nothing but trouble. But a good bandsaw on the other hand is not only a good straight line ripper, but a darn good lumber maker as well. If it can turn a round log into lumber it can surely rip a straight edge on a board.