Thread: Rockwell tablesaw

Rockwell tablesaw

Hey guys... Been on the market for a saw lately. Having trouble pulling the trigger on a brand new delta saw. Found a rockwell with 1.5hp 220 volt. Model # 34461. Fellow says its about 20 years old. Comes with same model 14" bandsaw. 12"disc sander 220 volt also and a 4" jointer. All for $1500. All purchased the same year for a cabinet shop. Does anyone know anything about the tablesaw? He's sent me a pic and all look to be in good shape. Should i drop the extra 1500 on a new saw or take this package? Thanks!

The table saw is a Unisaw, from the period where Delta was owned by Rockwell. The 3 hp. motor is now the standard. While the really old "bullet" motors in the lighter hp would be good, from only 20 years old, you might find your self wishing for more power. Aslo important to the valuation is what fence is on the saw. If it has a Unifence or a Beisemeyer you would be OK, but it it still has the Jet-Lock fence, you will want to upgrade that. Since the upgrade is several hundred bucks, I'd think $1,500 is a bit steep, especially if the band saw has less than 3/4hp. Similarly the 14" bandsaw was the industry light commercial standard of it's period, though it came in two flavors, one with an open stand, the other with a closed stand, and likely a bit more hp. A 4" jointer is hardly of help, I wouldn't include a value for it since I view that size as useful mostly as a boat anchor. I don't use a 12" (or any sized) sstationary disk sander. Delta has made a really good heavy cast iron disc sander, but I think there have been also some much lighter duty consumer grade machines.

I'd take the package, it's a lot good machinery for $1500 if it in good condition and it's better then any of the Chinese stuff.

The saw is very close to the one I just picked up last weekend; 220v, 1.5hp. This saw has plenty of power for anything I'd put through the blade. (I can't imagine what the guys feed their saws that need 3hp!) $1500 sounds very high for this package; I'm with Steve, I wouldn't have much use for the sander or jointer. I'd be interested in this package at about half the sellers price.

Ripping 12/4 curly maple for a poster bed surely appreaciated having 3 hp on my Unisaw. You can't slow down with maple (or cherry) since these woods are much more prone to burning, even with a sharp blade, well aligned saw. One and a half HP will cross cut all day, and will work fine ripping 4/4 and 6/4 hardwoods. But 8/4 and abovewill want you to slow down in some woods if you use a full kerf blade. I use full kerf because I use my Beisemeyer splitter religiously.

That makes sense, Steve; full kerf, 12/4 would require much power. I still haven't fed my Uni anything larger than some scraps (I've been sick since I got it set up), but my 1.5HP Delta contractor saw wouldn't balk at ripping 8/4 hardwoods including hard maple, cherry, and walnut. From what I can tell, the Uni is putting more power to the blade than the contractor saw. I'm sure my contractor saw would meet it's match at 12/4, even with a thin kerf rip blade, but I'd like to see how my Uni would handle something like that.

I agree with the others. The package deal isn't a deal. In my area, 6" jointers go for $150 and less. 14" bandsaws for $300 and less. That leaves a lot for the saw. And sander, do you even really need it, or would a belt/disk suit your needs better?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Ripping 12/4 curly maple for a poster bed surely appreaciated having 3 hp on my Unisaw. You can't slow down with maple (or cherry) since these woods are much more prone to burning, even with a sharp blade, well aligned saw. One and a half HP will cross cut all day, and will work fine ripping 4/4 and 6/4 hardwoods. But 8/4 and abovewill want you to slow down in some woods if you use a full kerf blade. I use full kerf because I use my Beisemeyer splitter religiously.
    I've ripped plenty of 12/4 cherry on my 1-1/2hp contractors saw with nary a problem.

I suppose letting us see the photo would bee too much to ask?

The Unisaw is a keeper for sure, even if a bit underpowered at 1-1/2 hp. Hopefully, the bandsaw and disc sander are top-of-the-line, with enclosed stands and TEFC motors. The little 4" jointer's usefullness may not fulfill your needs, but the other tools are keepers, if in good running condition and not in need of complete overhaul. Machines used in cabinet shops get lots of use on a regular basis, unlike home shop tools.

$1500 is a bit high for a package deal. Few want every tool in a package, so the seller's opportunities may be few and far between to sell the package. $1000 CASH MONEY may speak loudly!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!