Thread: gettting the purple back into purpleheart

gettting the purple back into purpleheart

I have some purpleheart that before I ran thru the planer it was bright purple now it is a brownish color. Any ides how to get it back to that color it started as?
    I tried sanding and scraping but it did nothing. Am i going to have to buff it of dye it??

Thanks for any help,
    Nick

Let it sit for a day or so. The purple will be back like magic It changes color due to oxidation.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

If you want a purple color that lasts, use Bubinga, and spray it with an acid catalized finish. Seems strainge, but it works.

Aqua ammonia fumed Purpleheart will turn a cranberry color too Like White Oak the tanins in Purpleheart alter the color, in this case to a nice shade of cranberry.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Larry I wish that was an option I already have about $500 worth of purpleheart milled to glue up for my client and no budget to change!!

Mike it sat all day yesterday I guess all I can do is wait!! I need it to get back to that rich color it was before so I can finish it!

I will finish the glueup today and then cut the oval out on the cnc along with the tapered bottom edge tomorrow. It will be 72in L x 40in W when done and mounted on a metal base.

Any more advise is truly welcome!!

Thanks,
    Nick

It should be back to the same color as it was before planing in a few days. Wenge is similar in that after planing too much off it almost looks like a wheat color. A few days and it goes back to the deep dark brown color.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

It will turn purple on its own, then over time change back to a rich purple-brown.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!