Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    The MD-7 is a synthetic oil, not water soluble. For the micro-drop systems only, AFAIK. They also have a vegetable based oil for these.

The spray mist systems use a water soluble coolant. So the TC-1 you bought is the right stuff for the Spraymaster. It's just that it's 'water based', so it'll destroy your spoil board.

BTW, 'synthetic' in this case, doesn't mean it's a synthetic oil. 'Synthetic coolants', at least the types used in flood coolant systems, are not oil based. Exactly what they are I don't know ... I've heard rumors ... but some of them have bad reputations for causing rust and peeling paint off machines. They're 'coolants', not cutting lubricants for the most part.

Personally, I think you'd be better off with a cutting lubricant instead of a coolant, but keeping things wet with something is better than nothing.

And yeah, I know the micro-drop systems are stupid expensive. What's that they say about stuff like this; 'cry once'?
    I get more confused with every new bit of information. For the time being I guess I'll just have to cover my spoilboard with something to protect it from the water.

Just to make sure I understand, the MD7 would not work with the system I bought, correct? Microdrop vs. mister?

I greatly appreciate all the help. I actually never intended on cutting aluminum so I'm behind the 8 ball when it comes to understanding the ins and outs but I've spend some hundreds of dollars on equipment to let me do some cutting so one way or another I'll get it figured out. Just hope replacing my spoilboard isn't part of it.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

It won't work, as far as I know. My guess is it'll be too thick to siphon in a standard mister.

It won't work, as far as I know. My guess is it'll be too thick to siphon in a standard mister.
    Thanks Wes. Looks like I'll figure out plan B so I can use the system I bought. Think I'll look into the cost for a sheet of thin plexi or something to mount on the table when cutting metal. If anybody has a good method already worked out, I'm all ears.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

For what it's worth, I use MD-7 with a spray mist system all the time. No issues with it being too thick. I do not have the system you bought, so I can't speak to that, but I do know I use the MD-7 in a mist system with no problems at all. For what you plan to spend on the work around for using the wrong coolant, you can buy the right coolant. Paul's got it sourced for $83. You'll spend $60 on a sheet of acrylic and then the hours to devise some work around. Spend the $83 and use everything you already have, as is.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    For what it's worth, I use MD-7 with a spray mist system all the time. No issues with it being too thick. I do not have the system you bought, so I can't speak to that, but I do know I use the MD-7 in a mist system with no problems at all. For what you plan to spend on the work around for using the wrong coolant, you can buy the right coolant. Paul's got it sourced for $83. You'll spend $60 on a sheet of acrylic and then the hours to devise some work around. Spend the $83 and use everything you already have, as is.
    Very good to know... I'm buyin the MD-7.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Well, his info is sure more encouraging then mine. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works with yours too.

Well, his info is sure more encouraging then mine. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works with yours too.
    Please note, I did say it's not a problem with the spray mist system I use. I have no idea if it'll work with some other brand or model. It might be very true that it doesn't work with some misters. I have no idea.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

For what it's worth Bob, I only cut 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum sheets on my CAMaster and I do not use any lubricant. I first drill the holes for the plate pattern then use those same holes to put screws in to hold the metal to the spoilboard. I then use the same bit and make 6 profile passes. These bits last months. If I recall, I've only had the bits break when I screwed something up.

6061 and 7075 are both on the harder end of aluminum. They cut well. When you get into sheet stock, you tend to get into softer aluminums that will weld to the cutter a lot easier. It's softer as sheet because it's meant to be bend, formed, etc. I don't find it surprising that you can cut 6061 dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cowan View Post
    For what it's worth Bob, I only cut 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum sheets on my CAMaster and I do not use any lubricant. I first drill the holes for the plate pattern then use those same holes to put screws in to hold the metal to the spoilboard. I then use the same bit and make 6 profile passes. These bits last months. If I recall, I've only had the bits break when I screwed something up.
    Hey Bryan,

Yep, I remember you buying your machine specifically to cut aluminum. Do you use a router or a spindle? I'm guessing using a router (what I have) will require shallow passes?

I've received the mist system and bits but am waiting on the MD-7. That's definitely encouraging that you're able to cut without it. Would you mind sharing what you're using for bits, feeds and speeds for the various operations?

What I haven't bought yet is the aluminum. I had to run to the toilet when I saw the price of .190" 6061 T6 sheet stock. I thought figured woods were expensive.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage View Post
    Hey Bryan,

Yep, I remember you buying your machine specifically to cut aluminum. Do you use a router or a spindle? I'm guessing using a router (what I have) will require shallow passes?

I've received the mist system and bits but am waiting on the MD-7. That's definitely encouraging that you're able to cut without it. Would you mind sharing what you're using for bits, feeds and speeds for the various operations?

What I haven't bought yet is the aluminum. I had to run to the toilet when I saw the price of .190" 6061 T6 sheet stock. I thought figured woods were expensive.
    Standard PC router.

Using Onsrud 63-622 bits for drilling and profiling. Drilling straight through, no pecking. Profile feeds 0.05" deep at 100ish IPM.

Also, my sheets of 28" x 40" x 0.125" 6061-T6 are purchased locally for $51/ea. I used ThomasNet to find a decent local supplier. Not sure what you've been quoted for 0.190".

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cowan View Post
    Also, my sheets of 28" x 40" x 0.125" 6061-T6 are purchased locally for $51/ea. I used ThomasNet to find a decent local supplier. Not sure what you've been quoted for 0.190".
    Thanks Bryan, I really appreciate the info. I'll have to make some calls to see if I can get a better price since what I found online was way considerably higher than that.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Ryerson Metals
    Los Angeles
    4310 E. Bandini Boulevard
    Vernon, CA 90058
    323-267-6000

Is that close to you Bob? Metal sells at commodity pricing when you buy it from places like this. No worries about being taken advantage of, for the most part. They are nationwide. We use them here, on the east coast, so it's not a small outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Ryerson Metals
    Los Angeles
    4310 E. Bandini Boulevard
    Vernon, CA 90058
    323-267-6000

Is that close to you Bob? Metal sells at commodity pricing when you buy it from places like this. No worries about being taken advantage of, for the most part. They are nationwide. We use them here, on the east coast, so it's not a small outfit.
    It's fairly close (about 60 miles). Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call. I contacted a So Cal company named Industrial Metal Supply but the salesman was, well, a jerk so I won't use that company as a matter of principle.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3