Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum

Aluminum

I may have an opportunity to do some aluminum faceplates for a guitar amplification company, but to date have not done any metal work on the CNC.

These are thicker than sheet metal (.188") and will require some fine details for the tone and volume controls, company name/logo, etc. There are also several profiled vents in the faceplate.

So, where would I start? Obviously I would need a misting system unless I wanted to stand there with a spray bottle (which I don't). I don't have a vaccum table so I'd just find open areas to screw the sheet to the table and I learned last week while hanging with the Camaster crew that dust collection should be off so I don't accidentally start a fire in my chip bin.

But what other considerations are there? I would *really* like to get this job because it could lead to other sizeable jobs since this is a fairly well known MFG that sells via Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, etc.

Also, and I've posted this on the Aspire forum, but how would you approach doing a 1/2" 100 degree countersink into a 1/4" hole on this material? I could do it by hand since I have adjustable countersink sleeves but if it could be done on the machine that would be ideal.

Edit: Doh! Nice job spelling aluminum...
    Last edited by Bob Savage; 03-01-2011 at 6:04 PM.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Bob, there was a post by Paul Phillips (I think) some time ago about cutting aluminum. It's very detailed and will answer all your questions. I cut it on a weekly basis. haven't had the first issue since I followed his advice. I do admit, I baby it more than I should, but for the stuff I do, saving 1 minute or even 10 minutes doesn't make much difference to me.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Bob, there was a post by Paul Phillips (I think) some time ago about cutting aluminum. It's very detailed and will answer all your questions. I cut it on a weekly basis. haven't had the first issue since I followed his advice. I do admit, I baby it more than I should, but for the stuff I do, saving 1 minute or even 10 minutes doesn't make much difference to me.
    Found it, thank you!
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Scott,

Did you buy the same misting system Paul uses? I know it's worth it but was hoping to spend a little less money than what the Trico MD 1200 costs.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Blog Entries
    I picked up the Kool Mist PORTaMIST kit...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I also used a Kool Mist system when I first started machining titanium. A lot less messy than spray bottles or flood coolant.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Bob, I didn't. I bought a Kool Mist system. Some people swear they don't want all that fog of mist around, but that coolant he recommended takes very little. You can't see it coming out, and it leaves very little trace, it's so little coming out. Of course I have cranked it up and fogged my entire shop up a time or two, but you don't need to. If I had to do it over again, I'd upgrade my spray mist system a notch or two. Mine is kind of fiddly and I don't have a ton of control over it. If I leave it attached to the machine, it will siphon all the coolant out of my container, so every time I stop using it, I have to completely unhook it, which is a pain. A better system would have the ability to turn off the coolant flow. On mine, the only setting is air, and that determines how much coolant comes out. More air, more coolant.

But that coolant is excellent.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

One more thing- don't cheap out on the coolant. The stuff that came with my kool mist destroyed my vacuum table. The $100 a gallon coolant he recommended does not do anything to the table.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

The coolant supply line is a pretty supple rubber line, if memory serves... have you thought about just pinching it off with one of those binder clips (or similar)?

Guys, thanks for the advise.

I haven't tried aluminum partly because I don't want the coolant mess so I'll be buying the expensive synthetic stuff for sure.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

So I'm checking out the Kool Mist systems. How did you guys mount the coolant bucket? Is it on your gantry? The stock tubing is very short.

Also, thank you to whichever admin fixed the terrible spelling of aluminum in the subject.
    Last edited by Bob Savage; 03-03-2011 at 2:00 PM.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Mine just sat on my table, as I had the room. I just wound a copper wire around the tip and fashioned a hook and hung it up higher than the tank when the job was done.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

There is an air line cooler available that might be worth taking a look at if you don't like the idea of using a liquid coolant. I don't know anything about this product, just that it exists.

Blog Entries
    Keith,

The air line coolers (vortex coolers) require a boatload of air... like 15CFM at 120psi. If you have the compressor for it (like a scroll type), it's a great tool.

Right on Dan, those air coolers will go through more air than most of us can supply.

There's a place on our gantry that the 1 gallon of coolant fits well. I just sit it there, run a bungee cord around it so it doesn't fall off and we're off to the races. I've got a concept for a small container that would stay mounted, but just haven't had the time to make it.