Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckeye burl. What to do, what to do...

Buckeye burl. What to do, what to do...

I acquired this lovely piece of buckeye burl the other day. I ordered it with the intent to cut it up into smaller pieces for stabilization... and eventually use it for pendants and other small items.

However, when I got it home, my wife almost took the words out of my mouth when she said "we should hang it on the wall".

The wood evidently spent the winter outdoors, so it's a bit weathered.

If I keep it intact, I'll sand it and apply some sort of finish.

If I decide to cut it up, I can probably get some platters out of the larger areas.

The slab is about 50" long and between 1" and 1.5" thick... it weighs 18 lbs.

So, what would you do with this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Zenreich View Post
    ...between 1" and 1.5" thick...
    Alan, I agree with your wife!!! Too thin to really get much other than small stuff or thin platters. It would be gorgeous finished out and hung on the wall. Besides, your wife would approve!!!

What a gorgeous piece of wood! It's pretty thin, so I'd be tempted to follow the advice of SWMBO... If you don't like it as a wall hanging, you can always hack it up later.

Support the boss and keep your place in the house. It will look great on the wall!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Well at least get a few pen blanks out of it...

Dave

Alan all I can think of is platters or small decorations. Platters would be awesome out of that.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'd mount it outboard and turn some beaded rings in the face, finish with a low luster finish, and then mount it on the wall.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I'm voting for go with your wife's idea. It's too unique to cut up.

I'd probably take a few pieces off for a couple Pendants and then it would be a "Work of Art" for the wall.

Well, agreed with the wife, but with a twist to make you both happy...maybe. I'd consider cutting it up into several "areas" such that you maintain the irregular shapes of the pieces. Oh, like two or three larger pieces, then the rest smaller - but all a little different in size from the others - and then turn them as wall hangings, leaving the natural shapes of the holes and edges. A little sanding to soften the edges and she gets her wall hanging, and you get to turn.

I have to agree with your wife - that belongs on the wall! Beautiful wood - outstanding! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That really is a pretty burl. Mother Nature tends to be the best artist! Would look great as a wall hanging.

I would hang it on the wall, and order another to cut up and work with, that is a beautiful piece of wood!

coffee table.

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    coffee table.
    +1
    The whole way through reading the thread all I could see was a Table.