Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Bowls With Turquoise Embellishment

Two Bowls With Turquoise Embellishment

Recently watched a video from Larry Fox called "Creating Outlays From Inlays." I have always thought turquoise was pretty and might make a neat embellishment from time to time, so I tried it. In the past turquoise was very frustrating, but these two bowls were really fun. His technique really made the difference. I plan to do some more of it. Both bowls are about 8 inches in diameter, about a quarter inch thick, around 4 inches tall. One is walnut and the other maple. The embellishment on the bottom of the walnut was with Turquoise powder. I wished I would have used the turquoise sand so it would have matched the top better. Oh well, next time. Sorry the pics aren't that great, glare pretty bad. Thanks for looking.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a neat look, Jeff. Lots of potential applications.

Jeff, those are really nice. I really like the turquoise on the rim like that.

Jeff - very nice work! Just a personal preference but I prefer the maple/turquoise mix over the walnut. No matter - I like how they both turned out and look forward to seeing more of this from you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

could you please tell me where you got this video or how I could get a copy. I have done some turquoise inlays before but have never seen it on the rim like this. I am interested. Thanks Jared

These are very cool looking! How did it turn for you, was it fairly easy on your tools, or were you having to sharpen often to keep a good edge on your tools? Looking forward to seeing more of this!

very nice..will you let us know how the turquoise holds up over time..on the edge(vs. the sides) it would in my mind, be vulnerable to chipping. again, very pretty embellishments

Very clean work Jeff. That doesn't look easy at all, but you carried it off well!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Interesting effect! I realize the lighting is different, but the walnut bowl tends to bring out different colors in the turquoise - at least to me.

Very nice work-the rims are cool. My favorite is the Walnut.

Another thought I had on the rims is that in my experience all of the bowls I have turned, will over time change shape ever so slightly, be it from temperature change, humidity in the summer or lack of it in the winter, or just that last little bit of actual drying of the natural moisture content of the wood. The slightest change in shape of the rim may crack the turqoise and glue that is added. How do you deal with this? What type of glue or resin do you use? Thanks in advance. Jared

Really nice looking bowls. I do like the walnut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice work Jeff. I like them both but my fav is the walnut one.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

http://www.foxywoodz.com/content/dvd...outlays-inlays

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    could you please tell me where you got this video or how I could get a copy. I have done some turquoise inlays before but have never seen it on the rim like this. I am interested. Thanks Jared
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Jared,

Larry has two videos. One is called "Creating Creative Inlays" and the other is "Creating Outlays from Inlays." I have both and I think they are really good. Both are about an hour and a half long with good visible instruction. Again, the website is www.foxywoodz.com .

As far as what happens when or if the bowl contorts a little from various humidity conditions, I have no idea how the turquoise ring would respond. It is made out of 2-part epoxy, resin/hardener, so there won't be any flex to it. Maybe someone else could offer some insight on that. I might email Larry and ask him, because you got my curosity peaked. He sells many of them so following his technique should be safe. These are my first two bowls to do like this, and while they both were quite dry, I don't want the ring to separate from the wood. I had planned to put them in my booth to sell, but I may do a little more research on your question.