Thread: Lillie's Keepsake Box

Lillie's Keepsake Box

I made this project for my niece Lillie's 4th birthday. I wanted to make her a box that could be a keepsake and gain some experience with box making. I purchased all of the wood at an estate sale for a couple of bucks. The box is made of African Mahogany and the legs are Honduran Rosewood. The design for the body and legs were taken from issue 202 (Jan/Dec 2010/2011) of Wood magazine. The top was of my own design. My awesome wife painted the Lily on top based on a tattoo my niece's mother got after she was born. I finished the box with BLO and Minwax Polycrylic Gloss spray. First time using both products and I was very happy with the rich color given by the BLO and the quick application of the water based Polycrylic. I welcome all suggestions for improvement given I'm only in my second year doing woodworking.

Looks like the lucky lady was well pleased with your efforts and that is that matters Very nicely done IMO also though! Tasteful wood selection and the painted top is a nce touch.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

One of the joys of woodworking is giving it to our loved ones. I bet lillie is just pleased as punch. she probably would have liked it even if if was made with 2x4's!!! I think it's a great box

Very nice, that will last her for many years. Carl

Thank you for the nice feedback. One nice plus out of this project is a jewelry box I'm going to do for my wife she would question all my design ideas. I was discussing something with her about it and she said she trusts my design ideas. That was a cool thing to hear from my wife.

Lovely box...keep up your good work. Alexander

In Texas we have a saying "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Sounds like that you have found the way to her heart
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Great work and hope to seemore of your boxes.

Can't beat making things for family. Nice job Russell.

Very nice box and Lillie will put a lot of memories in that box. Did you sign it?

Great job man! I really like the legs...

If you like adding designs like the painted lilly, you should give inlay a try someday.

Yes but put the date I completed it and my wife thought it should have been her birthdate. In retrospect she was right I just didn't think of it that way

Dave I do want to try an inlay sometime but given time and experience I choose the painting. Thank you for the feedback.