Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What brand of random orbit sander?

What brand of random orbit sander?

I am looking at 5" random orbit sanders around $100. Which brand is the best: Dewalt, Porter-Cable or Makita? Any other suggestions would help. I want good quality no junk.

Thanks in advanced.

I have told a few people this. Its hard to believe but I was shocked at how well my RA sander from harbor freight tools worked. It is the blue model. Not the orange. I have no complaints about it other than the dust collection. If you want to save some money I don't think you'll be sorry. It was every bit as good as the dewalt of comparable size I was using before it.

I started out with a Ryobi years ago and was sorely disappointed, then bought a Bosch and loved it but wanted a palm grip and now have a Porter Cable and I feel it is somewhat better. I sold gthe Bosch to a freind and he loves it as well. But the dust collection is better on the PC. It is the 390K by the way. Also I like the dust port as it accepts 2 different sizes of hose.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Makita is the best value out there IMO.

I started with a DeWalt about 15 years ago, replaced it with another about 3 years ago. Recently I've been given a Bosch and now the DeWalt sets in the box. Less vibration, better built-in DC, with or without a vac..

The P-C has built in dust collection via a fan between the pad and sander body. It also will use 2 different hose sizes as stated above. I've tried a few over the years and I like the P-C. I can't remember the model number off hand but I caught it on sale for, I think, $60 at the blue BORG. Forgot to mention I beleve the DeWalt and P-C are the same sander just a few cosmetic differances. Not sure about that and hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by shane lyall; 03-03-2011 at 3:14 AM.

All of my sanders are Makita. I have the 6" ROS and am very happy with it.

We used to own an assortment of Dewalt Ryobi,and Makita and all of them worked fine if I remember right the Dewalts had quite a bit more vibration to the hand than the Makita. Since then we have switched over to Festool and really like them. Festools are a little more compact in the width, and a lot less vibration. One thing we have noticed with the Festool is the velcro pads don't last near as long as some of the cheaper brands.
    If your not looking at using it everyday your probably just as far off staying with the cheaper Dewalt or Makita brands

I just had to replace my old porta cable and picked up milwaukee at hd for 79.00. It is a really nice tool dust collection awesome very happy. You won't be dissapointed.

I have a ryobi pistol grip 5" that just won't die. I can't bring myself to get rid of it even though it is loud and vibrates like crazy. My wife saw me lusting over the Ridgid 6" and got it for me for Christmas last year. LOVE it. I will say that even though it recently had to go in for warranty repair. It is smooth and quite with fantastic dust collection. A little on the heavy side, but In my opinion, that helps.

The warranty issue was the switch and it was a easy as dropping it off at the local repair shop and picking up a week later. I would buy it all over again.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McCann View Post
    I just had to replace my old porta cable and picked up milwaukee at hd for 79.00. It is a really nice tool dust collection awesome very happy. You won't be dissapointed.
    I agree with Tom. The Milwaukee 6021-21 at my HD was closer to $59. Great value, good sander and no swirl marks.

Another vote for Milwaukee 6021-21. It was "top value" in Wood Magazine review a year or two ago (PC 390 was "top tool" overall). The Milwaukee has a 5 year warranty and I don't expect to need it. I like that it is a more aggressive sander when needed, but it still does finish work well. Also, $59 at my HD (similar price on amazon).

I have had 2 boschs. Although there dust collection is great ( it was always full) ( waffle type filter). After a few months of use it spits the sandpaper off (mirka brand) and wont hold onto it. I talked to bosch and he said maybe I'm sanding on the side ( grinding it to get more wood off quicker). Maybe I am but my dewalt doesnt have that problem. Dewalt DC isnt good but I like it better now cause of that.

I know you said $100, but I wont lool back at paying alot for my festool, just the fact that its so much healthier breathing would sell me on it. Theres no sawdust it seems at all. No cloud , nothing on board.Quiet.
    Last edited by Craig D Peltier; 03-03-2011 at 2:23 PM. Reason: add

I like the Bosch 1295 DVSK. Low vibration and good dust pickup when attached to my Fein vac. The pad on my Makita did not last. The DeWalts vibrate quite a bit, and I have not had good luck with longevity on DeWalt products. Since PC was relegated to second class citizen behind DeWalt when B&D bought the brand, I've generally shied away from that brand.

I can say avoid the DeFalt, and the Makita. Both crap

I'd buy a Festool sander if you could get them with out the stupid dust collection, and a PSA pad.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 03-03-2011 at 2:56 PM.