Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What brand of random orbit sander?

got a Dewalt maybe a year ago for like $80. It does the job but the dust collection, as some here have said, is sub par.

My favorite and most used sander is Dewalt's D26451. I don't think there is a better value in a 5-inch sander today.

It's very comfortable to use, has dust collection second to none (when connected to my shop vac) and only costs $59 from a well known online retailer that also sells books. It has actually made sanding an enjoyable (and fast) task. It has a hook and loop pad for fast paper changes when working through the grits. I use it with Mirka and Norton sanding disks.

I used to use Bosch sanders exclusively but experienced the problems others have reported in this thread. I own thousands of dollars of Bosch tools and think they're great but I haven't been happy with their sanders.

I had been using a Bosch that I was fairly happy with except for the dust collection. My wife bought me a Festool 125 for our anniversary. The Bosch now just sits in the cupboard of misfit tools. IMO the Festool is worth spending an additional $70. Its quieter, has less vibration and substantially better dust collection.

Another vote for Rigid. I have the 5 & 6" ROS's, so far never a problem with either. The 5 is about 6 years old and the 6 - 2 yrs. Good machines and great warranty.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Another vote for Milwaukee 6021-21. Have one at home and one at the shop. Best sander for the money. I don't remember exactly what I paid but seems like under $50. Special deals somewhere, probably Amazon.

Dar

Is the Festool really worth about $70 more? I want a sander that is easy to control, no vibration, and aggressive yet a good quality surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    Is the Festool really worth about $70 more? I want a sander that is easy to control, no vibration, and aggressive yet a good quality surface.
    Add near perfect dust collection and you've just described Festool sanders.

8. Ros

I started out with a PC, good sander however vibration killed me. After 2 neck surgeries, it doesn't take much to send my muscles into spasms. I purchased a Festool model 125 3, big difference in the amount of vibration. Along with the sander, I also purchased the CT Mini the two it makes almost a dust free combination.

As posted before, they're worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McCann View Post
    I just had to replace my old porta cable and picked up milwaukee at hd for 79.00. It is a really nice tool dust collection awesome very happy. You won't be dissapointed.

+1 I have that same one and like it so far.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I really like the Bosch 3725(?) DVS. Good control, low vibration and reasonably priced. Another member here said it was as good as the Festool a while back. I buy another one.

Consider this. Pricey, but whoa mama!

Mirka CEROS 5" Compact Electric Random Orbital Sander

Blog Entries
    Bosch 1295DVSK. Won a lot of the bake-offs. Best swirl pattern, etc. Now hard to find (of course). With a vac attached it picks up more dust than it makes. I can sand and clean the bench at the same time Klingspor used to sell a re-badged version for about $50. I have one of each and they are identical except for color. I have been running them for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the Milwaukee. Have nothing bad to say about it but nothing about it makes me Love it. I think it has a hard time on narrow stock like rail and style. I had a Ryobi for years and think I liked it a little better. But they don't make that model anymore.
    The Rigid I think is a close clone of the Milwaukee.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a Bosch 1295 variable speed also. I really like it. The pad sucks, mine fell apart, but replacements are cheap.

The Festool, if you can swing the cost, and you'd need the vacuum, is THE best sander I've used. If you buy it, you will not be unhappy. They don't claim it, but it has zero dust emission IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McCann View Post
    I just had to replace my old porta cable and picked up milwaukee at hd for 79.00. It is a really nice tool dust collection awesome very happy. You won't be dissapointed.
    I also have the Milwakee. I like it a lot.