Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are there any good American made big iron?

I was surprised to hear that it was only this year that USA became the number 2 exporter in the world (instead of #1).
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Buscemi View Post
    Are you saying the new stuff made by Northfield and Tannewitz is cheap, or cheaply made?

Sal
    No, but I'm not going to pay thousands to outfit my garage shop. I can do it just as well with the old stuff.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    We American's are just too fat and over paid.
    I'm way over paid at my job.
    lol - just start a woodworking business and you will be all set!
    JR

4. Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    No, but I'm not going to pay thousands to outfit my garage shop. I can do it just as well with the old stuff.
    Me too, I've got old tools (Oliver) that I never would have been able to buy new.

The OP's question was "Are there any good American made big iron?" and you said "Anything new these days is just plain cheap, no matter where it's made." There is still good American made big iron being made in this country.

Dirk, I agree with you partly. I don't think it is so much that NA companies can't, they choose not too for fear of lagging sales numbers. The primary focus is selling units, not profit margins on each unit. Do you think Martin sells a lot of their $70k saws each year? Probably not, but darn it, they know they sell the best darn saw on the market. I don't know of a lot of NA companies with that kind of attitude. I will not fault any company for outsourcing overseas, but I do have a serious problem when they lack in quality control or designs that focus more on cost. When the first discussion for a new tool or machine is the price point, I have a problem. That proves to me you care only about selling units and not giving me a good device to use.

Brad

Northfield new machine prices will make your head hurt.
    http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...celist-NMB.pdf

7. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ryan View Post
    Yeah but, they make reeeeallly nice machines.This one was mine (50+ years old)

8. Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Let me ask you this: if you could buy a television made in Asia for five hundred dollars or a comparable quality TV made in the US for $1,000 which would you buy? Be honest.
    This has already been proven. I remember when the first wave of imports was coming in the late 80's early 90's.. The Jet Jointer was $50 less than the US made Delta, and tons of people voted for imports with their $. The prices were something like 550 or 600. I remember tons of posts saying "The Delta might be better, but I'd rather save $50".

Making stuff in USA does not double the price..

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Sure, I'll be honest. I'd buy Asian.
    We American's are just too fat and over paid.
    I'm way over paid at my job. We need an adjustment back to reality.

Whatever...yes, we can't get political here...so it looks like when it comes to buying hardware for my shop, I'm pretty much left with going foreign.
    I'm not overpaid for my job, but everyone I work with is

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ryan View Post
    Depends how you look at it.

I paid $3500 (I think), for a new Powermatic 27S shaper in 2007. Its falling apart. That's four years roughly.

A new Northfield Shaper is basically $10k. I don't think I'll have to complain about it falling apart.

Blog Entries
    1. I am surprised no one has said the original saw company. They still make awesome radial arm saws in the USA. I would say the best radial arm saws out there.
    2. Last year I bought a delta drill press and bandsaw from lowes at a deep discount right before they changed to PC. They quality has been find thus far, but I feel like a traitor. In the past I have bought old machines and restored them. I plan to do that again.
    3. I wonder how much manufacturing delta will have in the USA after their recent sale? The unisaw was marketed heavily on made in the USA. I think this approach would work other machines also, but the quality must be there and must be competitive on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    13. I wonder how much manufacturing delta will have in the USA after their recent sale? The unisaw was marketed heavily on made in the USA. I think this approach would work other machines also, but the quality must be there and must be competitive on price.
    Paul, I would expect that any made in NA machine would be substantially more money than an import from the East.

I think the small number of General and Made in USA Delta stuff should give you an idea of how many people are willing to pay more for NA stuff.....Rod.

Shopsmith MarkV, Bandsaw, jointer, planer,sander and other attachments are all made in Dayton Ohio.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

14. Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Paul, I would expect that any made in NA machine would be substantially more money than an import from the East.

I think the small number of General and Made in USA Delta stuff should give you an idea of how many people are willing to pay more for NA stuff.....Rod.
    It may be more than a $50 difference today.. but there was a time when the import Jet 6" jointer only saved you $50.
    My point is that people will not buy American, even if the cost difference is modest (roughly 10%). The funny thing was back then, the Delta was even considered better quality, at least in perception. I remember thinking back then that American tool manufacturing was doomed long term. I remember several threads like that on rec.woodworking.. and I specifically remember the $50 difference (although I do not remember the exact prices of each model)

They certainly aren't going to pay double for made in America.

Also, Vega is another qualitiy company that still makes lathes in America.

This is now a global economy and we all better start thinking that way. I buy the best perceived value (quality and perfromance) I can afford with a new tool and could give a rats behind if its American, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Swedish, French, German, Russian or whatever. The point is they can build it over there, ship it over here and market it for less than USA product and it performs as good then why wouldn't you buy it. If you prefer to spend more for lower quality and performance and find that buying American makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then so be it - good for you. Is the American product better for the money? Yes or No - that should be the only question that matters.