Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Jet 16-42

I found out from Sean at Tool Nut that this lathe will be going on sale next week. Guess I will be buying a new one and passing on this one. They are almost the same price delivered to my garage.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 03-10-2011 at 1:38 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Yep... the sales help a lot. Besides, you'll be spending money on tools that will way overshadow the lathe purchase price
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Congrats, You can't go wrong dealing with Sean at Toolnut. They are a real pleasure to work with.

Blog Entries
    I do a grading system on used Power Tools. What does it cost new, then cut the price in half. From there I decide to upgrade or downgrade depending on the condition of the tool. If I really want it, I might go a little higher. Then make the offer.

Too many people out there wanting way to much for a previously purchased tools. They almost think they should get what they paid for it.
    Have a Nice Day!

Greg, I'm glad you are getting a new one. I have the same lathe bought new in 2008 for $1200 before the price jump. I added a shelf and 4-75# sand tubes for ballast. Absolutely, no regrets. Enjoy!

Good catch on the sale Greg.
    I was going to mention that Jet/Powermatic will have a 15% off sale for St. Patricks week. March 15th. through 21st.
    I think that is what I seen in our local store.

Last summer you could get the Jet 1642 for $1500. You may save money on the slightly used one, however if it cost 2-$300 more to pay the tax and get a full warranty, it is worth it.
    The Jet 1642 is a great lathe by the way

Jerry

Well I pulled the trigger today and ordered a new Jet 1642, the 1.5 hp model from Tool Nut. Hope to have it in a week to 10 days. The Jet and PM sale runs through Monday.

Congrats Greg. You are going to like that machine and you made a great choice to go new as like the others the used one was high and the not knowing after sitting didn't have a warm fuzzy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You will love it! I talk to mine ...

Congrats on the new lathe!

Cathy,
    I thought you were only supposed to talk to them when they were acting up??? I guess they might act up more to get more attention. Maybe that's my problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Cathy,
    I thought you were only supposed to talk to them when they were acting up??? I guess they might act up more to get more attention. Maybe that's my problem
    Oh no, they're just like any other woman. You have to let them know you're interested in what they're thinking, and that you're listening to them. Waiting until they're upset is a big, big mistake.

(I think I must have breathed too much walnut dust today...)