Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Roughing Gouge - your favorite size??

Yes, Doug makes an SRG. I think he only does them on occasion. He may not do them at all now due to the amount of material wasted. I have one, I think it's 1 1/4" not real sure any more on what size it is. I just grab it when I need it.

John,

I have got the two that came with the HF set as well, but I picked up a biggin and love it. I got a Jet, looks to be around 1 1/2". I really like the deep flute compared to the HF. It lets you rotate the tool and cut much more like a skew. Now, I do mainly use it for roughing fairly squared up or rounded stock. Like Scott, I use my biggest bowl gouge for roughing the rough stuff. If starting over it would be one of the keeper tools.
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 03-04-2011 at 10:43 AM.

The only one I use is a Sorby 1-1/4" roughing gouge. Anything smaller and i just use the 3/4" spindle gouge.

I use a 3/4" and 1 1/4" roughing gouge. I do like Alan on most spindles to get them to size with a skew and peeling cut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hmmm.... Am I the only one that bought the big BB roughing gouge? I also have the HF cheapo set, and used the "small" 1" RG they have. The Big BB gouge removes tons of wood fast. The big plus of the gouge, is there is a LOT of metal on the gouge. When one spot gets dull, rotate the gouge and you have a nice sharp new edge to use.

Just my $0.02.

Kyle, I am interested in seeing what folks are using, but it seems to me the more metal the better. If I can't get a Thompson, the BB looks to be a good buy. There will be some disagreement on this, but my feeling is that M2 HSS is just that, and that there is little difference among the brands. That, of course, is different metal entirely than the Crown PM, the Thompsons, and others.

Doug's roughing gouge is my go to gouge, but I would like a little bigger one too like the BB 2". I don't see on Doug's site that he carries the SRG 1-1/4 anymore, maybe it wasn't a good seller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, I also have the BB 2" gouge and the HF and one I bought that was just a bit larger (1") than the HF (3/4") gouge. The only one I use now is the BB gouge except on the occassions when I need to rough a pen blank, and I use a skew for that. Like Kyle says, it takes a while between sharpenings as you can find another spot to cut. Also you can lay it on its side and slice like a skew for the final cleanup.
    This IS a case where bigger is better.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

John
    I use a Crown 3/4" SRG on the smaller stuff, I also have a 2 1/2" or 3"(?) Crown for the big stuff. I've done the Ellsworth thing and used my bowl gouge but I like the SRG to do what it's made for and my bowl gouge for what it's made for.The SRG is designed to cut rouge and square stock with it's front corner edge and smooth those cuts by using the large flat wings in a peeling cut after the stock is round. The bowl gouge when used to rouge stock is usally used in a side push type cut witch duals the tool faster and puts allot more stress on the tool and you then when used as a bowl gouge. JMHO.
    PS: Or get an EWT rouger and use it.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 03-04-2011 at 12:49 PM.

The only one I have is the 1" BB that came with the starter set I bought from PSI. I haven't used it in I don't know how long. I use the 5/8" Thompson bowl gouge instead, and I'm perfectly happy.

Cathy, I use a SRG for rounding stock for pedestals, etc., and actually do quite a bit of shaping with it. I have even rounded some finial stock with it. The HF roughing gouge is 1" - just measured it, and I think I would do better with a little larger one for smoother cuts - though the one I have does pretty well. I agree with Harry's assessment on the use of the bowl gouge.

I've got a cheap Woodriver(WC store brand) rouging gouge that I bought when I first started turning. It's 1", and I use it quite a bit when rounding spindle stock. I've turned a bunch of pens from start to finish with it(before I got on good terms with my skew).

I've never felt the need to go bigger or better, but then I've not used a 'high-end' roughing gouge.

I love my Crown HSS 1 1/4" SRG. Nice thick steel with a good handle. Outstanding tool-easy to sharpen and good mass. I also started with the HF set.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

14. John,

I really like my Crown 1-3/8 inch..........it will take the corners off square stock real fast without beating me to death in the process. I also have a 3/4" but hardly ever use it since I have the 1-3/8 inch. I know of several guys who have a 1.25" and they really like it as well. I have the outside corners ground back just a hair [very slight], and that makes it not prone to catching.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have a P+N 1 1/4". but I often use my homemade easy rougher for the same task, depending upon the project and the type of wood. The Crown 1 3/4 might be interesting to try, a lot of mass as well as more sharp edge to use.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome