Thread: Grizzly GO555 Motor Burnout - What do get to replace?

Grizzly GO555 Motor Burnout - What do get to replace?

OK - I burned out my 1hp motor on the Grizzly GO555 the other night. Its way out of warranty of course. I was wondering if any of you had experience with motors, and what I could use to replace it. I tried to attach a picture of its specs on the side of the motor. If that doesnt work I will reply to this and type them out. I know I could call and get one from Grizzly, but I hate to replace it with the same thing that I just burned out.

Thanks in advance
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry but I don't speak Grizzly model numbers, so no idea what kind of machine your talking about.

First option is finding a motor shop to see if it's really toast, or if it can be fixed? At 1 hp your probably better off replacing unless it's a simple fix.

As for replacing, you should be able to find a suitable replacement by figuring out what frame you have, then you can look at other companies. Depending on the type of machine, (some require specific duty ratings, like compressors for instance), as long as you match the frame, speed, and similar hp/amperage, you'll be fine. I like Leeson and Baldor motors myself but there are several other respectable companies as well.
    If it's a common frame you can even give e-bay a try as they usually have a pretty good offering at any given time.

good luck,
    JeffD

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Baldor's last night, and I learned a little bit. Im about to show my ignorance about motors though. I see the frame types on their Web Site, but how do i figure out what mine is? Ive always been the type to just chunk a tool when it quit on me instead of fixing it.. so this is a new experience for me. Dont quite have the funds to just go get new tools now

After doing some research it looks like mine is a 56C. Im not for sure, but at least I did find a couple of Baldor Dealers here in town. I am going to run the old motor down there and talk to them and make sure I get the right thing.

Thanks for your reply

I think that's a good way to go, however, at least take a look around at prices online before you go. The better informed you are the less likely you are to get hosed. Again depending on the machine you may be fine with a less costly motor. Baldor can be more pricey than a Leeson and your not going to know the difference when your using the machine.

good luck,
    JeffD

Chuck = what do you mean burned out? Does it turn but make a lot of noise (bearings), have trouble staying turning, or just sit and 'hum' when you turn it on (either could be run or start caps)? Or do sparks come flying out of it?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

If you do wind up replacing it, I'd probably replace it with a 1.5 h.p. which the G0555X has. You didn't mentioned if you had a riser kit installed but IMO 1.5 h.p. is a minimum for resawing greater than 6". I had an old Griz 15" b.s. with a 3/4 h.p. and that thing was anemic for resawing more than 3-4".

You might want to give Cleveland Electric a call. ( http://www.clevelectric.com/index.php5?pageid=1 ) They have a motor rebuild service that is quite good and reasonably priced. Location is Atlanta GA so it's not far from you.

Another possible supplier is Grainger ( http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/gen...ecatalog/N-9xp ). They are very competitive and the quality of their products have been very good in my experience.

Give Grizzly a call. They might give you a deal on rebuilding the motor.

What were you doing? Resawing? IMHO 1HP is too little power for resawing. You might consider up grading to 2HP if they would recommend it. Was the motor not thermally protected? Did you check for a reset button? (wouldn't that make it simple)

Bret

When I turn it on now it hums and sits still. If i open and spin the wheel pretty hard I can get it to spin, but it has no power at all.. As soon as i touch it to the wood it stalls again. Oh - and horrible electrical smell. The night it burned up, it smoked up pretty good, and had the same electrical burning smell. It also gets VERY hot after just a couple of minutes of being turned on.

Thanks! I do have the riser kit on it. I think I was just running it too hard for the motor it had on it

Thanks Terry. I appreciate your input.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    Another possible supplier is Grainger
    Isn't Grainger commercial-only? As I recall, I tried to buy some bearings there once but I wasn't a business and they wouldn't sell to individuals.

i would replace that motor with a quality Baldor or Leeson motor. The asians don't make quality electric motors for some reason.