Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate it!

Hate it!

I think of all the turnings I have done to date, I like this one the least. I had this piece of macassar (AKA striped) ebony roughed out before I started moving. It got a good DNA soak and a six week drying time wrapped in paper. But it ended up peppered with cracks anyway. I also tried the glue soak thing, hoping the cracks would close up. Not!!!

I decided to try and finish it anyway but one of the cracks came right up to the rim and looked really bad. So I stuck in this little amboyna burl collar. Then I started thinking about stoppered bottles. I was also wondering about how a shorter finial would look so I figured I would try one. The net result is that... well.. I hate it! Too bad... I had some high hopes for that piece of ebony. Anyway, here it is FWIW...

ebony_1.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Well, the form you chose really shows off the wood well. I can't think of a form the would be better. The finial, in and of its self in very nice, but have to agree with you for this piece, but having never done a finial, I'm not much of a valuable opinion giver.

David, the "Hate it" designation is a bit rough, don't you think??? I really like the form - quite well, actually. And, the wood is beautiful. I don't care for the diminutive finial, but why not just do another? There are all kinds of possibilities with this piece, and it is certainly worth the effort. Can't you fill the cracks with some CA or epoxy?

Just seems too pretty a form to leave as is and be disappointed in it.

"There are all kinds of possibilities with this piece, and it is certainly worth the effort. Can't you fill the cracks with some CA or epoxy?"

Maybe so, John. I did fill the cracks but they are still obvious. Somehow, in the ebony, the cracks are much more prominent than they might be in another wood. I could easily make another finial and maybe I will. But I'm really more disappointed in the form itself. I don't think the proportions are right and the collar just does not "click". I don't know if I am going to be able to bring myself to put more effort into this. Have to sleep on it. I've already shown great restraint in not bowling it down the drive way into the street in front of an oncoming truck!
    David DeCristoforo

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The wood is very nice, I like it a lot. The form is just right. The finial is the only thing that might need changing. I know what it needs...a spiral finial!! Like jk said, just do another.

That wood reminds me of some Red Bud I turned with the pith centered. They cracked too, but CA did the trick.

David, what are the dimensions on the form?

I don't know why you hate it so much. I actually like the form the way it is. I also think it might look better without a finial....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

David, I know we tend to be our harshest critics and it's hard to change our minds, but I like the form and wood and think it would look best without the finial. Just the form alone.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

I hate it that you hate it. I think the main form is fantastic. The wood is beautiful. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I can't see any of the cracks you're talking about. I also can't see the actual transition or joint between the ebony and amboyna but I think the colors compliment each other. I would suggest a different finial from the amboyna if possible, short is fine, but a little larger in diameter and with something in the shape that replicates the shape of the main vessel.

Don't be so hard on yourself David. Set it aside and let the wheels turn for a while.

David I don't know what is to hate. I really like the form but the finial could go.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

"...what are the dimensions..."

7" in diameter and 6 tall without the "finial". I "photoshopped" the finial out. OK, I could have just taken another picture without the finial but I didn't think of that until just now. This is just how my brain is working these days!

ebony_nofin.jpg

I'm still not happy with the curve at the top of the form. It just seems to flatten out too much. And it's way too thin to try and reshape it!
    David DeCristoforo

I think it's really pretty without the finial. Maybe if you set it aside awhile, it will grow on you. Or maybe you'll use it for bowling, who knows? Just don't make any sudden decisions. (easy for me to say. my wood stove is in the basement about 10 steps away from my lathe. can't tell you how many pieces I've burned ...) personally, I think it looks really good.

"...maybe you'll use it for bowling..."

Don't think it has not occurred to me! I also think the base is way too wide. Every time I look at it I see something else I don't like. This may be another "chalk it up to learning" thing.
    David DeCristoforo

I can see your point about the curve flattening out but overall it's still a very nice piece. I think you're being too harsh on yourself (but then we our are own worst critics!)
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?