Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate it!

I should have asked this before, but can you still chuck the piece? Something to consider would be to turn out the collar (not really enough contrast for my tastes) and open the form a little so that an inset piece could be installed that would solve the problem of the flat area - perhaps Blackwood or something that would contrast with the ebony. Then work up from there into a transition area.

I still think there are all kinds of possibilities, but in order to rectify your concerns it seems the piece needs to be chucked.

I don't hate it... In fact, I think it's rather nice. I agree with your ideas about the top and bottom of the form, and I like it better without the finial. I'm sorry that it didn't materialize as you hoped especially with such a fine piece of wood... Blame it on mover's trauma.

I actually tried to chuck it in a vac chuck but it wouldn't hold because of all the cracks. The big problem is that the walls are only 1/8" thick so there is not much to work with. I think I would have to take out almost a three or four inch disk at the top in order to get rid of the flat. Then I still have the "too big" foot to deal with. I think I'd rather put the effort into the next one and let this be. Can't win em all...
    David DeCristoforo

David, I have been there! When you reach that point mentally, then moving on is the right decision. You can easily pour too much effort into a piece that will never fully satisfy you.

Rest up - and, on to the next one!!

I don't disagree about the 'too much effort' concept, but I will say that painter's tape over a crack will usually allow a vac chuck to hold ....FWIW

David I must say I like it as is. Really looks good to me without the finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I actually think it is kinda cool! Instead of trying to eliminate the areas you are finding fault with - why not turn a new finial that emphasizes those features?

ebony_nofin mod.jpg

Just a thought...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like it as a HF by itself. But when I start feeling like its time to move on, it probably is.

"...why not turn a new finial that emphasizes those features?"

Well that's a novel idea! I dunno... I'm gonna sleep on this one. I mean not actually sleep on it but... well, you know. I'll decide in the morning. If it was not for the fact that this piece is so badly cracked I might have more motivation to do something with it. I know the cracks don't show in the pics but if I get some in a different light and from a different angle, they will be very visible. There's a ton of hairline cracks and some pretty big ones. You can see some of them in this pic on the left side:

ebony_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    If you are still hating this piece in the morning, why don't you throw it in a box and ship it to me in Minnesota. We can use a little extra heat in our house this time of year!

Actually it WAY to nice to burn but I would gladly put it on display on a shelf in our home!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

that wood is realllly pretty.

Set it aside for awhile. Something will come to you. Maybe you can use the cracks to the benefit the piece. Carving, piercing, etc. If you plan on counting it as a loss then what do you have to lose by doing one of those, or just setting it on a shelf for a year and then coming back to it. Right now your mind is too distraught over it so you can't think straight or even out of the box so it's time to move on from it. But in 6 months or a year your mind will be fresh and you can think of new ideas for it.

Frankly Dave. I really like it. Finial and all. So while you are busy hating your exquisite work you can send it to me and I will banish it to a display prison case far far away. Never again to cast its evil influence upon your other works.

It is a shame the wood cracked. I like the form. Not crazy about the little finial. If you still hate it, try some piercing practice before sending it to the carbonization pile.

I'm still contemplating the fate of this "piece". As "the doc" said, it's future has not been written yet...
    David DeCristoforo