Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vector cutting and scoring card stock

Vector cutting and scoring card stock

I am interested in paper scultpture, particularly pop-cards. Has anyone got tips on successful vector cutting and scoring of card weight patterns? Does the paper stock burn or discolor?

Thanks for your input!

Hi Linda,
    I use my laser to make my own tearoff price tags out of card stock and it does slightly discolor around the cuts. I do however do two sheets at a time so if you did a single sheet you could lower the power and probably have almost no discoloration. I have my laser perforate, cut the holes and cut the outside of the tags. Hope this helps, Jeff.
    Epilog Legend 75W, Corel 12,

Cutting Card Stock

Hi Linda;
    Like so many answers in this business-it depends. On the thickness of the stock, paper density-even the moisture content . I have a 60 watt Laserpro which runs at 60 inches/sec and often cut 1/16" matboard at 8% speed and 100%power with minimal discoloration of the edges.
    No simple answer-best thing is to try the standard 1" square cut at various setting using your sample stock. Good luck
    George M. Perzel

Thanks for the reply

Thanks - I'll use your suggestions and do some tests. It is encouraging to have this forum for input on even seemingly small issues like this!

I was interested in trying some popup cards myself. I have had a couple of books by Masahiro Chatani for years and used to cut them with an Xacto knife when I could still see straight. Yesterday I went to the local office supply store an bought a pad of 11x14 white Bristol drawing paper, 146#, about 12 mils thick, by Bienfang. Just the right thickness and size.
    My first cuts worked on speed=25% and power =100% on a 25watt Mercury. Came out great. No burn marks, nice and clean cuts, way better than I could do it by hand, (just a dirty finger print of course) I have not tried scoring yet because I wanted to redraw some of the artwork and am not sure if I should score everything on the front side, or index and flip it to do the back. I'll report back when I know more.

PS-cut another card at settings above and scored on front side only (design could be reversed if desired) using speed=100% and power=30% which made a nice clean score.
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 01-26-2005 at 9:41 AM. Reason: add info

Sample pop-up card

Well, I finally got around to doing a pop-up card. This was an invite to a martini party/product launch for the company I work for. The cover says-- "We're ready to shake things up" and the inside says (more or less) "unless you prefer yours stirred" .

The pop-up is at 90 degrees and is a martini glass with the logo on a swizzle stick. I used a perforated line for the folded areas. Just thought I'd share this with you!

Linda

I’d be a master if my peculiarities weren’t so inconsistent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda,

We have several of our customers doing this the key in cutting paper without burn is to lower the PPI and keep the cutting table clean. Here is a picture of one of the cards that our customer did with our system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie
    ...and keep the cutting table clean.
    Mike, what's the secret to that? I tried Simple Green (Treavor's suggestion), might as well have used tap water. Ditto for 'orange' 409.

I'm under the impression that most oven cleaners can't be used on aluminum...is there one that can?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Go to Home Depot (only place I know that has it) and buy Krud Kutter. It cleans mine like nothing I have ever seen, and does not hurt the aluminum at all. Spray, soak, rinse, and it sparkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Tate
    Go to Home Depot (only place I know that has it) and buy Krud Kutter. It cleans mine like nothing I have ever seen, and does not hurt the aluminum at all. Spray, soak, rinse, and it sparkles.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

(And of course I just got back from a "Borg Run"... )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

OK, call me before you go again. I will give you the list.

Lee,

We actually use the purple Zep from Home depot. I have not tried the krud cutter but I will probably go pick some up to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie
    We actually use the purple Zep from Home depot.
    Purple Zep, Simple Green...no wonder I'm confused.

Where do you get patterns for this type of thing? Looks interesting.

Shaddy,

This lady hand draws everything this picture is nothing she has done some incredible work.

You can look at her web site http://www.liveyourdreamdesigns.com/