Thread: Bench assembly questions

1. Bench assembly questions

I have a Bally Block maple slab for a bench top. I need to put 3/4" dog holes in it and was wondering how precise do the holes have to be in regards to one another? WIll little differences later cause problems with using the dog holes? Should I use my drill press for it (I would have to wrestle with the heavy top) or is an 18V drill sufficient? For the Bench Skirt, do must people screw the skirt onto the top? Or do they just glue it, maybe using biscuits to line it up accurately? I also have the LV twin screw vise which requires a minimum of 6" for the rear and front jaw. Should I get 2" by 8" (7.25") or will 2" by 6" be sufficient(5.25"? Thanks for any feedback!

Me too

Mike - I don't have the answers but am planning on doing the same thing with my Bally slab so am very interested in any responses you get. Would also be interested in what you've decided to do for the legs/frame. Dave

The answer depends upon whether it's one row of dog holes or more than one row. In the latter case, they have to be pretty much "exactly" parallel and in line in two dimensions. (I learned that lesson the hard way not long ago when I was fitting out my own new bench...see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13783 ) If there is only one row, it's not as critical since you'll only be clamping something between two points and there is no rule that it has to be in exactly the same line as another piece of a different length. My advise would still be to get them on a straight line...

Oh, and the Irwin Speedbore spade bit I used to drill the holes in my 2 1/8" thick bench top was awesome. Very clean entry and exit and fast drilling...corded drill required!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike and Dave,

I used a forstner bit to drill the holes in a piece of maple I use for bench dogs. Now I used a drill bushing for exact placement as far as center to center, but I could have just as easily have laid out the holes by hand. A forstnet bit will give you a hole that is pretty accurate in diameter.

I also used an 18v drill for all the holes and found that the drill heated up after about 3 holes so I went to other things till it cooled off.

Ji