Thread: Johnsons Paste Wax and T9

Johnsons Paste Wax and T9

Hello All,

I have been using Johnson's PW for protecting my tablesaw top. Last year I bought a T9-kit to use in a rust removal effort on an old jointer. A couple of nights ago I thought, it has been a while since I did the paste wax. It was late so I thought, hey I will spray it down with T9-protector and bee good to go.

Went out to the shop last night and the top was extremely tacky/soft. Bummer.

I took a polishing cloth and buffed it out pretty well but still not super slick like I like.

I checked it this morning and it is ok but still not slick!

Did the T9 somehow re-act with the wax? I just checked the can and it does say it has petroleum distillates in it. So maybe that is what is reacting with the wax? I guess I should bust out the mineral spirits and strip and re-wax?

What do ya'll think?

TIA

Jim,
    I have had the same issue when I knew that I was not able to get into the shop for an extended period of time. I sprayed it down heavy with the T9 and found the top to be sticky after I checked later on. I cleaned the top with a little acetone, and then reapplied a light coat and some paste wax later on.

Read the application instructions on the can to T-9. The only time you spray and leave is if you are long term storing your tools. For normal use you spray and mostly wipe off. When dry, apply a coat of paste wax to restore some slipperiness to the surface.

The process works best if you first use mineral spirits and remove any prior wax or T-9. About every six months I remove the existing, and then re-apply the T-9 and the paste wax. Every month or so I apply a light coat of paste wax and buff.

Do not rub the paste wax hard when applying it. The solvents in the paste wax will dissolve the T-9.
    Howie.........

I usually leave the T9 on for a few hours then I put a coat of paste wax on. If you leave it on to long just wipe it off good and then put the paste wax on.

Hi guys ; I live on Vancouver Island where it is always humid ( where they say you don't get old -you just rust away ).....I just spray a light coat of T-9 on my tablesaw and wipe off completely in about a minute and then leave it alone. No paste wax- nothing. I have done this for the last three years and to date there is no visible rust anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Read the application instructions on the can to T-9. The only time you spray and leave is if you are long term storing your tools. For normal use you spray and mostly wipe off. When dry, apply a coat of paste wax to restore some slipperiness to the surface.

The process works best if you first use mineral spirits and remove any prior wax or T-9. About every six months I remove the existing, and then re-apply the T-9 and the paste wax. Every month or so I apply a light coat of paste wax and buff.

Do not rub the paste wax hard when applying it. The solvents in the paste wax will dissolve the T-9.
    Checked my can and it does nt mention that. It gives a couple of options, like:

Heavy: Spray on and let dry
    Medium: Spray on and let set then wipe off
    Light: Spray and Wipe.

I think where I screwed up is, I should have done a mineral spirits wipe down, T9 and wipe off after a bit.

Which is what I am doing now.

I think in the future, if I want to do a quick T9, it will be of the spray on and wipe off. With a nice wax job at least once a year.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Read the application instructions on the can to T-9.
    Instructions? Men don't need no stinkin instructions. :~)
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What is the advantage of T9? I only use past wax and never ever a problem in over 20 years. Tools are kept in a unheated/air shop.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I spray on a layer of t-9... A few hours I lay on a few coats of Johnsons and I'm done. Awesome protection..

Good luck w your choices

I Made the same mistake of leaving it on to long the first time also and have not really liked it ever since. I agree I could probably just use the Johnson's but since I already bought the t9 I figure may as well use it. That having been said South Bend must have terrible humidity because I have gotten a slight surface rust discoloration with t9 an Johnson's if I go more then a few months with out applying it.

Dave,

I use both and IMO, if you're not in a rush there's no advantage. The T-9 advantage is that it covers quickly and, being a spray, naturally goes down into crevices such as bottoms of a miter gauge slot corner.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

T9 doesn't create a slick surface like wax, BUT it is the best prevention for rust buildup compared to any other product. Many different tests and reviews have proven this. If T9 is considered 100% rust protection, then the next closest product (including waxes and wd40) would be considered 20% protection. I saw a salt bath test once where all other products looked very rusted, but T9 showed no rust after an extended period of time.