Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebonizing with Vinegar - Never again

Ebonizing with Vinegar - Never again

Ok I admit right off the bat that maybe its just me...but this is the most god awful stinking stuff I have smelled in years. I started it a couple of days ago, went to check it tonight...it has been 2 hours of pounding headaches and nausea from the fumes/smell of this potion from below. And the thing is I love the smell of regular vinegar, especialy malted..anyway whatever kind of chemical reaction that takes place between the vinegar and the steel wool is absolutly horrible.

If you have tried this before and had good luck my hat is off to you. If you are comtemplating trying it...I would recommend getting a mask that will take care of fumes like this unless you have an iron clad stomache and this type of stuff dosnt bother you, because your house will smell once you open the container, do it outside!!

I will have to try other ways to ebonize in the future. Tim

I didn't notice any smell at all and I made two quarts of the solution. What brand vinegar did you use? You are supposed to use white vinegar..not apple cider or heaven forbid Balsamic.

3. I don't know why folks use this solution anyway when there are ready made dyes on the market, and leather dyes, both of which have alcohol base and dry quickly, and you can get on with your project in minutes after applying. Maybe I am missing some wonderful aspect of the steel wool/ vinegar thing, but I don't know what that is.

India Ink is about as black as you can make a finial if you use it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I used white vinegar Stephen.

I am going to try a dye or India Ink next Roger, the vinegar was recommended by so many people I thought I would give it a shot...will I guess you win some and you lose some and I lost this one. I will try the dye or Ink next but I am done with the vinegar for good.

I know Molly Winton uses black leather die for all of her ebonized stuff. Her stuff is really black and beautiful.

Alan

While I have never tried the ebonizing with vinegar and steel wool, to me, if one is after a true black, dye is the choice. The ebonizing effect is not predictable wood to wood, and even within species. It all depends on the tannin present.

I am going to give the dye a try John, funny thing is I was at my local Ace last week and happened to see the wood dyes as I was walking through the paint section...they didnt have any black though so I didnt grab any...I will track some down somewhere though...anything must be better then vinegar.

I've used vinegar a couple times. The smell isn't good, but it does wear off. To me, the big prob is the unpredictability of it.

The major problem with this process: There is very little acetic acid in vinegar to react with the steel wool to produce FERROUS SULFATE. This compound is actually the "ebonizer." You can usually find FS in garden supply stores

Jim

Tim, you can order Fiebing's leather dye direct from here. It will give a nice black, and it is alcohol based so it doesn't raise the grain quite so badly - dries quick, too.

Perfect! Thanks John!

I have used the vinegar/steel wool solution with good results on walnut, but on a recent project in oak, it was a different story...the end grain looked good, but not side grain. That surprised me because of the high tannin level in oak. I also use TransTint in alcohol which is good, but the best I have used is some fabric/leather dye called "Blacker than Black". Found it on CL locally for $1.00 a bottle (16 oz.). Lots of other colors too. If bought in quantity you can get really cheap. Look at this guys add.http:// stlouis.craigslist.org/art/2248211226.html
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 03-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.

I'm thinking something is wrong. I've done it with no problem. You had to have used the wrong vinegar. Fact my solution had less smell that just plane vinegar.
    "We the People ........"

I have used the solution and like that the result varies from piece to piece. To me, that helps make each turning unique. I did notice the smell when I first opened the container but I did not have the reaction you did.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Have any of you guys tried vacuum dying with a paintpot or caped sealed section of 8" pvc with a HD truck tire stem. You can ad ball valves and set the system to vacuum the the dye right out of it container into the tank. and back without getting dye on your self. Indian ink works bst for black. Printer dyes of all colors can be used and they dry fast.